Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up


All communities will be placed in read-only mode (you will be able to see and search for posts but not start or reply to discussions) as we conduct maintenance. We will make another announcement when posting is re-opened. Thank you for your continued support and patience, and if you have any further questions, please email

Yours in health,
WebMD Community Management

high cholesterol
hollebums posted:
hi im new to this as i recently discovered i have high there a way to test whether your body is producing to much cholesterol? because my diet is prety good(as per me lol) and i gym run + play indoor soccer. please help guys. your help means the world to me. thx
billh99 responded:
Yes, there is such a thing as inherited high cholesterol. There are a number of type that range from slightly elevated to blood that is thick as Texas crude and could probably be refined to operate car.

This the different classification.

In most people the human body generates most of the cholesterol and not absorbs from the diet. However, there are a few call hyper-absorbers, that get most of their cholesterol from food.

Also some people absorb excessive amounts of phytosterols and make excessive cholesterol. Phytosterols are a plant product that have cholesterol like properties. They are available in supplements and added to some foods (margarine & OJ). In most person they fake out the body and it makes less cholesterol. But in a few person it causes them to make excess cholesterol.

There are special test to determine if some one is a hyper-absorber or sensitive to phytosterols. But I don't know what they are. AFAIK they are not commonly used, but sometimes used if the person doesn't respond to normal therapy.

From your other thread it appears that you father died "young". For a male, under 55 is early for a heart attack. BTW, my father died at 43, but I didn't have a problem until 65. And then that it only a partial blockage & not an heart attack.My cardiologist said that the difference was probably smoking. But my dad died in 1953 so no data on his cholesterol.

Now you did not tell what your cholesterol levels are, if treatments have been helping, etc.

Common lipid test don't give all of the answers. People can still have problems with "normal" cholesterol levels. And other with high levels don't have heart problems. But there are some advanced test that more indicative of heart attack risk.

They include VAP and NMR. They measure sub-fractions of the cholesterol (VAP) and number of particle of cholesterol (NMR).

Lp(a) a sub-set of LDL that can be very high risk.

PLAC (Lp-PLA2) test for products of cholesterol forming plaque.

Test for inflammation.

Test to see if the blood clots easily.

You might want to get a consult with a doctor that specializes in Preventive Cardiology. You might call the local hospital (or medical school) with the biggest heart department and ask they have a preventive cardiology department.

And/or see a doctor that specializes in treating high cholesterol. You can find a lipid specialist here.

Also look the other information on that site.
hollebums replied to billh99's response:
hi thanks for your not on cholesterol medication,,,but have hypertension,,,,and my blood pressure remains perfect....but my cholesterol was 7(as per norms iv been told 5 is the max id want to have). im super active so i have to believe its unfortunately sumthing i have inherited. i had tests and scans and thankfully didnt have blocked arteries or anything. guess i must get medication now too! thx for info. cheers
suki65 replied to hollebums's response:
Hi hollebums ,
Have you tried intermittent fasting to help get your cholesterol down ?
hollebums replied to suki65's response:
hi, not sure what you mean....please can you give more info? thx
suki65 replied to hollebums's response:
Hi ,Yes i have had terrible side effects from statins and would not want anyone to experience them .
I have found intermittent fasting very good my level was 7.9 in 2 months it is down to 6.2 .
I eat breakfast at 11am ,dinner at half 11 ,a snack at 2pm ,my tea at at 6pm and my last meal is toast or fruit at 7pm .
Intermittent fasting is eating for no more than 8 hours a day if i feel hungry in between i have water or sugar free drinks .
If you just try it for 2 months then get your cholesterol checked
you will be so surprised as i was and i am feeling so much better .
Please try it it is worth it it doesnt cost anything and there are no side effects
hollebums replied to suki65's response:
ok awesome. will do. thx

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

Wider use of statins could save thousands of lives
As we all knew would be the case; "Extrapolating our results to the approximately 10 million U.S. adults who would be newly eligible ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.