Skip to content
Bad Cholestrol
MarkeyMK posted:
I cut out meat and most fats lost 50 lbs with the diet and exercise in 5 months and then felt great and had a heart attack.

After all that no fats and very limited cholesterol amounts, my cholestrol was higher than a kite. The bad , LDL was super high and my HDL was very very low.

The things is I quit smoking three years before and before I quit smoking my cholesterol was fine (even considered low), but when I quit smoking I made it a point to get it checked as I was interested in seeing how my body changed when I quit smoking so every 6 months I got it checked and it just kept shyrocketing even with diet and exercise.

My suggestion for young people is don't ever start smoking and the other suggestion is if you over 50 just keep on smoking because in my opion if you quit get ready to pay alot of doctor bills.

I've been threw to much to start back up and it's been 6 years now so I'm not about too. I just hate it when they tell people how fast your body heals after you quit, it's pure BS in my opinion.

I guess I just get discusted since I keep trying to help myself be healthier and it just doesn't work.

I now have alot of muscle pain so I can't exercise like I used too, And boy I have alot of short term memeory loss or dropped thoughts. Long term is OK though.

I just wanted to tell some of you about my situation and maybe someone else is out there having the same problems won't feel so alone. My goal is someday get off the cholestrol medicine just to feel better and live life like it should be lived. I don't think the saying "No Pain No Gain" works in this case LOL.

Take the Poll

Does anyones else have muscle pain and loss of short term memory or dropped thoughts while taking their cholestrol meds?
  • quit cholestrol meds
  • try a naturalpath
vote
View Poll Results

billh99 responded:
After all that no fats and very limited cholesterol amounts

Actually, for most people, the effect of dietary cholesterol on the cholesterol blood levels is very limited. The body generates cholesterol and regulates the amount needed.

However, there are a few person that are supper absorbers and are sensitive to the amount of dietary cholesterol.

Also you need GOOD fats, mono and poly saturated fats.

In too many diets fats have been reduced too much and the level of carbs are too high. This is particularly true of commercial "low fat" products.

The bad , LDL was super high and my HDL was very very low.

You may have a metabolic syndrome. You might want to see a doctor that specializes in cholesterol management.

http://www.learnyourlipids.com/find-help/

iride6606 responded:
You have left us with a few holes in your situation. For instance, while losing 50 pounds is a very good and admirable thing, going from 400lbs to 350lbs doesn't really help prevent heart disease although a 10% decrease in weight will lower BP. Also, how long did you smoke? Smoking is the number 1 risk factor for heart disease ahead of family history and cholesterol. Smoking helps plaques to form and once there they don't do away. So the problems you built up over the years of smoking could still very well come back to cause a heart attack in the future. Stopping does help the heart muscle become stronger but it does not improve the damage already done. Also, how much exercise and what kind? Walking is great for the heart but running is better. Three times a week is the minimum, and daily is better so there are differences in exercise as well.

Anyways, sorry to hear of you issues and wish you the best.

Anon_320 responded:
I'm sorry you're having such a hard time, but I can't believe that you would recommend that people over 50 keep smoking. What happened to you after you stopped could just be coincidental but, no matter what, your situation is yours and you can't extrapolate that to say that everyone who quits smoking is going to end up with health problems because of it.

If you're taking statins, your muscle pain and memory loss are most likely from those; they are common side effects. Ask your doctor to put you on a non-statin medication.

bobby75703 responded:
Very good replies above. I must say I agree 100% with iride6606. Smoking is the greatest risk factor. Its a stark reminder that the greatest risk factor is inhaled.

sahasrangshu responded:
Hi,

Please do not quit your cholesterol medications because your aches and pains might not have just continued because of these medications.Do not start smoking and always stick to a healthy diet with lots of vegetables and exercise,the so-called Mediterranean diet.Your memory loss is just another issue and try to consult a neurologist and follow his or her advice.Thank you very much.

bobby75703 replied to sahasrangshu's response:
Cholesterol serves a vital function in memory. The brain is the one organ most dependent on cholesterol to function properly, and uses about 25% of your body's cholesterol. Cholesterol plays a role in the brain in a process called synapses, aiding in memory and thinking.

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

statins
have taken simvastatin for over three years i am now am diabetic. is it true that statins may have caused me to become diabetic More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.