Skip to content
38 point spike in LDL in just over a year
An_253029 posted:
I'm a 48 year old perimenopausal woman who just found out today that my total cholesterol is 260 with my LDL at 174 and my HDL 86. My 2012 my numbers were total - 222, LDL 136, HDL 86. I am so worried that my LDL increased 38 points. I am 5'5'' - 135 pounds and a moderate exerciser. My diet is not horrible but could improve. My doctor said she didn't know why my numbers spiked so high and could only think it was age related. She said I could either go on a statin or could try through diet and exercise to lower it on my own and check in 6 months. Has anyone else ever had such a sudden spike? Could it be because of menopause? Also would love to hear other's experiences with statins. Thanks!

iride6606 responded:
With your numbers, I would try to lower it myself based on your ratios which are good. Go here and try the calculator and read about the results;

http://www.hughchou.org/calc/chol.php

Having said that, I would not want an LDL that high so I would consider the Pravastatin. Please understand I am not a doctor and I'm only telling you what I did and in no way am I trying to persuade you one way or the other. I went on Simvastatin, both are very safe and very effective. These are not overly powerful statins, but you need to decide along with your doctor. I have had no side effects, but some will.

Also, keep in mind that cholesterol levels are very fluid and change with your body's needs. If you tested again in 90 days you may find your numbers a re much better.

Probably confused you more than helped but there you go!

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

LOWERING CHOLESTEROL NATURALLY
I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET MY CHOLESTEROL DOWN WITHOUT STATINS AND FINALLY I AM GETTING SOMEWHERE. I STARTED TAKING PANTETHINE 300 MG. TWICE ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.