Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
George W Bush / Stent
bobby75703 posted:
I see in the news George W Bush had a stent today to open a narrowing artery to his heart.

Bush's 2007 physical exam showed perfectly normal cholesterol. Total 170, HDL 60, LDL 106. He exercised regularly and is in excellent physical shape. He is not overweight and certainly doesn't fit the stereotype to have heart disease, yet its happening in the presence of perfectly healthy cholesterol levels.

The only thing I noted in his history was the "occasional cigar" that would be a high risk factor.

iride6606 responded:
Actually, if you check his history he has admitted to being a heaver smoker into his late 30s and did not take care of himself. That will catch up to everyone some day, once the plaque is there it doesn't go away so it takes very little to cause a blockage.

bobby75703 replied to iride6606's response:
Oh Yeah that's right. I did read that he used to smoke and forgot.

iride6606 replied to bobby75703's response:
Plus, don't forget he was an alcoholic in his words and was a power drinker into his 40s. In fact his 40th birthday party was legendary. I have a huge amount of respect for of both of the Bush Presidents and had the privilege of shaking hands with Senior in Kennebunkport, ME during a Memorial Day town hall meeting.

Having said that, W was a drunk and a heavy smoker the majority of his life, something he freely admits. It's not hard to imagine that he may have had a much less healthy lipid profile during that time and start building soft plaques that would not show up on a calcium score test. As I said, once there, plaques don't go away. If one ruptured then a blockage is going to happen. Just think about the big picture out loud, plaques, arterial inflammation from smoking, elevated cholesterol from drinking. Could be, don't know.

Interesting, just watching a Cardiologist on TV just said the same thing. The blockage was most likely the result of the abuse his body went through early in life.

Yep. More than likely.

Hey iride, I just learned about Jim Fixx. His story somewhat parallells Bush's story. A bad previous lifestyle that caught up later in life.

Granted these are two individuals in a big world, but as I look at these two cases, it supports the theory of permanent damage to the arteries from cigarette smoke. For some individuals, it may create a perpetual process that can't be stopped no matter how much one cleans up his lifestyle.

Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud.

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

try the q
I've been taking CoQ10 200mg every night since being on statins.It helps me with muscle aches caused by the statins without any side ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.