Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Statins NOT linked to memory loss
iride6606 posted:
I am posting this as there has been much discussion here concerning statins and the possible loss of memory or cognitive function. A meta-analysis has been conducted by John Hopkins and no connection to memory loss or cognitive function as the result of statin use has been found and in fact long term statin use resulted in a 29% reduction in the incidence of dementia. The FDA is reviewing it's current warnings and may well be pulling this from the list of side effects from statins as well as they have all the concerns over liver damage and increased risk of cancer.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/media/releases/statin_medications_may_prevent_dementia_and_memory_loss_with_longer_use_while_not_posing_any_short_term_cognition_problems

Important to note;

The study did not receive any funding from industry, and the authors have no conflicts of interest.

We looked at high-quality, randomized controlled trials and prospective studies that included more than 23,000 men and women with no prior history of cognitive problems. The participants in those studies were followed for up to 25 years

Roger Blumenthal, M.D., the Kenneth Jay Pollin Professor of Cardiology and director of the Ciccarone Center, says the findings will be reassuring to many patients. "Statins can be lifesaving medications for high-risk individuals," says Blumenthal, "but many of our patients became concerned about taking the drugs after the FDA created labeling changes last year. This very robust analysis of the best data available should allay those concerns

Very good news indeed. As has been the case with most concerns, once the data has been reviewed of participants with many years of follow up, there is more hype and less fact concerning some of the claims made against statins. Statins are a fairly new drug and many of the concerns from the early years are falling by the wayside as we have more years of data.

iride6606 responded:
Here's another article, this is fascinating.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/08/130831110906.htm

Dr Lin concluded: "To the best of our knowledge, this was the first large-scale, nation-wide study which examined the effect of different statins on new onset dementia (except vascular dementia) in an elderly population. We found that high doses of statins, particularly high potency statins, prevent dementia."

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

Cholesterol
If i am trying to lower my cholesterol should i be looking at the fat or cholesterol in food? More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.