Skip to content
Diesel exhaust increases artery stiffness
bobby75703 posted:
Cholesterol may not be the villain. Small study on humans shows Diesel exhaust increases artery stiffness.

LDL cholesterol was meant to be in the body. But diesel exhaust? It has no place in human health.

http://www.particleandfibretoxicology.com/content/6/1/7

iride6606 responded:
Could be a factor, I could buy that after all what's the difference between diesel exhaust and cigarette smoke, both are the result of combustion but before we jump in with both feet, consider this;

Twelve, non smoking, healthy men (mean age 26, range 21—30) participated in the study.

12 participants, really? It's hard to glean many results from 12 participants. What kind of trial can you run with 12 participants?

bobby75703 replied to iride6606's response:
Right, both diesel exhaust and cigarette smoke are the result of combustion, and share common properties.

Using this small study we can show that diesel exhaust causes arterial stiffness. Remember, when the light bulb was invented, Edison used just one bulb. Not 12.

There is no doubt diesel exhaust damages arteries, but the mechanism by which this damage occurs is just coming to light. Interference with nitric oxide bioavailability.

http://jaha.ahajournals.org/content/2/1/e004309.full

bobby75703 replied to iride6606's response:
Iride, I think the reason they used non smokers was to isolate cause.

Obviously in a human experiment like this, you would want to start with healthy arteries and see if the exhaust induces vascular damage.

In this case it did.

bobby75703 replied to bobby75703's response:
The following followed over 5,000 participants and found an association between air pollution and thickening of the carotid artery.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/04/130423172706.htm

iride6606 replied to bobby75703's response:
I can agree with this, after all cigarette smoke is nothing more that fine particulates.

From this study;

"Linking these findings with other results from the same population suggests that persons living in a more polluted part of town may have a 2 percent higher risk of stroke as compared to people in a less polluted part of the same metropolitan area,"

That's not a very big "maybe" increase in risk. What I do find interesting is that some people come here and say they "never trust studies" and they "don't trust educate people with degrees", but this one by these educated folks is OK.

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

LOWERING CHOLESTEROL NATURALLY
I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET MY CHOLESTEROL DOWN WITHOUT STATINS AND FINALLY I AM GETTING SOMEWHERE. I STARTED TAKING PANTETHINE 300 MG. TWICE ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 19 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.