Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Where's the Beef!?
bobby75703 posted:
Nobody can forget that slogan from Wendy's.

Beef has taken a bad rap in heart disease due to its high saturated fat content. The theory goes- saturated fat boosts cholesterol thereby increasing heart disease.

Which leads back to the title of this thread. Where's the beef? Is there any geographic relationship to heart disease and beef consumption.

Within the United States Beef sales are highest in the midwest according to the USDA. But heart disease death rates are highest in the southeastern states. The problem worsens as we get into the poorer counties along the Mississippi river where they can't afford to eat steak like their people in the midwest.

So in the United states I see no correlation between consumption of beef and risk for dying of heart disease.

But what about world wide? In the world market the USA is a big producer and exporter of beef. So who is the USA's best beef customer? The answer is Japan where heart disease is among the lowest in the world.

billh99 responded:
http://healthimpactnews.com/2013/sweden-becomes-first-western-nation-to-reject-low-fat-diet-dogma-in-favor-of-low-carb-high-fat-nutrition/

Sweden has become the first Western nation to develop national dietary guidelines that reject the popular low-fat diet dogma in favor of low-carb high-fat nutrition advice.
The switch in dietary advice followed the publication of a two-year study by the independent Swedish Council on Health Technology Assessment. The committee reviewed 16,000 studies published through May 31, 2013.

bobby75703 replied to billh99's response:
Interesting. Thanks for posting Bill.

Meanwhile I have been looking at the worldwide beef consumption map, and I see no correlation between per capita beef consumption and death rates for heart disease.

If anything the beef consumption map and heart disease map are the inverse of each other.

I grew up with the belief eating beef steak clogged arteries, but now I seriously question that.

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

Lower cholesterol without drugs
I also had cholesterol numbers that kept inching higher. At 237 my dr. suggested meds. I don't want to go that route so took a good look at ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 20 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.