Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
50% of Heart Attack Victims Have Normal Cholesterol
iride6606 posted:
So as I mentioned in an earlier post, I had an opportunity to spend some time speaking with a doctor last week and one of our topics was the statement in the title of this post. He told me he would send me a copy of the study author's final notes on the trial that was the source of this statement and it would show me how misleading it is. Boy, was he right. To protect him, I will not post what he sent but here's the high (or low) lights.

Of the 135,000 patients observed, only 59% had lipids checked at admission. That alone is a large enough number to throw this whole data set out the window. Of those that were checked, 21% were on cholesterol lowering medications and were eliminated from the data. Of those that were left, 75% had normal cholesterol levels. I'm sure that some here are having an "I told you so" moment right now, but read on.

What does normal cholesterol level mean? It means that one or more of the three major components of total cholesterol, LDL, HDL or serum TRI's were in the normal range. The real results show just how shockingly misleading this comment is. The final analysis showed the following;

We found that less than 2 percent of heart attack patients had both ideal LDL and HDL cholesterol levels

Let me post that again as it is so important to understand how some people will stretch the truth to mislead;

We found that less than 2 percent of heart attack patients had both ideal LDL and HDL cholesterol levels

That's right, less than 2% had a completely normal lipid profile. Wow, that's quite the stretch from "50% of heart attack patients have normal cholesterol levels". This is just another case of cherry picking data from a larger body of work to support a position. Didn't we have a thread here about cherry picking data and how wrong it is not too long ago?

iride6606 responded:
I just finished reading the entire study, incredible! Even when the details of the published results state clearly;

some still say that half of all heart attack victims have a normal cholesterol level, unbelievable. If they would just loot at evidence and not headlines we would be able to move on.

Some can't see beyond their beliefs.............

Look up the UCLA Heart Attack Survey if you want to read more than just headlines.

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

shannon9585
Shannon, when I have looked thru my lab test hard copies, I saw that the lab techs had divided the hdl -good- cholesterol value into the ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.