Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Fast Diet instead of muscle cramping statins
bobolinks posted:
I'm 60 with high cholesterol for the past 15 years (even on a controlled low-fat diet) and successfully kept it in check with simvastatin (Zocor) for most of that time. Two years ago, I experienced muscle cramps in legs and hands, so I stopped the statin immediately and further controlled my diet. A year later my cholesterol returned to 265 (mg/dL) and my doctor put me on another statin — same result with muscle cramps within two months, so I dropped it again back in January. Two months ago I started the 2-day/week Fast Diet (see link: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/ )with no other changes (to diet or exercise) — Result on this month's physical was a drop in total cholesterol to 235 (that's 30 points!) and a 25 point drop in LDL (HDL dropped a small amount to 73, but is still in the good range). Triglycerides also dropped 30 points from borderline high of 129 to 98. For me, this represents tangible change in a relatively short time frame that was never achieved with diet alone. My doctor agreed to test my cholesterol further to determine the makeup of the LDL, not all of which is "bad" — please see this link to "Men's Health" regarding control of cholesterol and types of LDL: http://www.menshealth.com/health/understanding-cholesterol-and-heart-disease . I'm now on the 1-day/week Fast Diet for maintenance and look forward to eliminating the need for statins. Does anyone have a similar experience or professional advice regarding this diet?

iride6606 responded:
I don't have any professional advice, not that kind of doctor, but it sounds like you found a system that works for you. As long as your doctor is aware and OK with things go for it. Your HDL is high enough that your LDL is not as big an issue, and your TC/HDL ratio is good. I've never tried a fast so I can't share any experience.

Hope it works out for you.

bobby75703 responded:
Decreasing total calorie intake will have a lipid lowering effect in most people. Its an unpopular message but its just physiology, Cut calories.Lower lipids.

I know a guy that did one of those fad diets limiting calories to 700 per day. He was stunned to see his cholesterol plummet. Those kind of diets are not good for your health, but they demonstrate the remarkable association between calorie intake and lipid counts.

sharon_price responded:
Actually, I have been considering stopping taking Lipitor (because of all the negative things I've been hearing about it possibly leading to Type 2 Diabetes in women). I have been reading a very interesting book called Wheat Belly by William Davis, MD. He recommends eliminating wheat from your diet, which I am trying to do and which makes sense to me. My husband and I have a copy of a "2-day fast diet" similar to your and have considered doing that also. I will do one of these approaches....just not sure which one yet.

iride6606 replied to sharon_price's response:
Yes, I have read that study from Canada and it definitely shows a 31 in 1,000 prescription incidence rate for the high potency statins like Lipitor and Crestor if I remember right. That's a pretty significant risk and would make me think twice as well. I know that the study participants were all 66 years of age and older and I don't really know what the correlation is between the risk and age. Also, the lower potency statins such as simvastatin were closer to 23 incidents in 1,000 prescriptions so you could always as for a different statin. Sounds like you've done your research, kudos.

I don't know much about a gluten free diet, not a big fan of the fasting diets but I have not tried them so perhaps I shouldn't speak to it.

In any case I hope it works for you.

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

shannon9585
Shannon, when I have looked thru my lab test hard copies, I saw that the lab techs had divided the hdl -good- cholesterol value into the ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 4 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!