Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Needing alternative advice to medication
scottams2012 posted:
Just received my annual blood test for Cholesterol and I need some good advice rather than goes on medication. Dr. didn't alarm me nor call me just noted on my result that my result elevated to 255 above normal 200. recumbent increase exercise, weight loss and decrease fatty foods. recheck in 2 months. My result is below. I am an asian male, 43, 5ft 7 weight 162lbs (goal for this month is 155) and pretty fit with regard to muscle and being tone. I exercise daily more circuit and high pace basketball game once a week.

Total cholesterol: 255 (normal high: 200) <<< at risk
triglycerides: 129
HDL: 52
LDL:176 (normal high: 100) <<<at risk
T. chol/hdl ratio: 4.8 (normal high: 5.0) <<<at risk?
Non-HDL: 202 (normal high 129)<<at risk?

I need some AWESOME advice. I can change my diet very quickly and fast very quickly with veggie and vitamins (omega 3 & Vitamin

My questions is if i am NOT on med am I a walking time bomb for a STROKE or a HEART ATTACK? (if i change my diet and increase my cardio exercise)

I been reading on Med and it is not good risk w/ all the side affect on muscle, liver and kidney.

Thank you and i hope the answer help people in my situation!

Scott

iride6606 responded:
No, you're not a walking time bomb as long as you drop the LDL some, best would be under 130. There are many ways to do this without meds, get on a good diet like the Mediterranean, increase fish, cut out red meats and keep the sweets under control. More fruits and veggies and fewer meals from a box or a can. It's pretty basic stuff.

Remember, only about 10% of your serum cholesterol comes from what you eat, the rest is made by your body. An LDL of 172 is pretty high, I would not want mine that high for very long. Your HDL is high as well which is good and will offset some of the high LDL. It's good that you are researching statins, just make sure you get the latest details. For instance, you mention a concern over liver damage. This has been proven not to be a side effect and the warnings will be pulled very soon by the FDA. A lot of old and wrong info out there, it's best to hear it from your doctor.

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

Excercise
Tried many forms of excercise and running seems to be the best for me for lowering cholesterol. More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.