Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Cholesterol too low
An_254592 posted:
My total cholestrol is only 40. My Dr. was surprised but said it is okay because my good and bad cholestrol levels are perfect. I am vitamin D deficent as well, which also surprised us because for over a year I have taken 5,000 IU of vitamin D daily. After reading some info online it appears I should be concerned with the low level. It appears low cholestrol is a symptom of something. I can't find info on how to raise it. I eat very well, low refined sugar intake, minimal processed food and I exercise. In addition to the Vit D, I take Omega 3, Calcium, vitamin c and DEHA. I also consume flax/chia seed and Maca Powder in my green smoothies. I would appreciate any advice or point me in the direction of a physican who is familar with this and can help me.

billh99 responded:
My total cholestrol is only 40. My Dr. was surprised but said it is okay because my good and bad cholestrol levels are perfect.

I not sure that you have the numbers right. Normally your HLD should be a minimum of 40. That does not leave any room for LDL and VLDL.

If you don't have it, get a copy of the lab report from the doctor and list the Total, LDL, HDL, and triglycerides.

There a people with a genetic mutation that causes very low cholesterol. Those people seem to have a normal and maybe and extended lifespan.

http://jacknorrisrd.com/low-cholesterol-part-2-genetically-low-cholesterol-levels/

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/10/health/rare-mutation-prompts-race-for-cholesterol-drug.html?_r=0

Is this your first cholesterol test?

Was it a big change from older tests?

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

Vit D reduces muscle pain from Statin
While the data is still mixed there is an indication that many people who get Myalgia (muscle pain) while on a statin suffer from low ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.