Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Cholesterol too low
An_254592 posted:
My total cholestrol is only 40. My Dr. was surprised but said it is okay because my good and bad cholestrol levels are perfect. I am vitamin D deficent as well, which also surprised us because for over a year I have taken 5,000 IU of vitamin D daily. After reading some info online it appears I should be concerned with the low level. It appears low cholestrol is a symptom of something. I can't find info on how to raise it. I eat very well, low refined sugar intake, minimal processed food and I exercise. In addition to the Vit D, I take Omega 3, Calcium, vitamin c and DEHA. I also consume flax/chia seed and Maca Powder in my green smoothies. I would appreciate any advice or point me in the direction of a physican who is familar with this and can help me.

billh99 responded:
My total cholestrol is only 40. My Dr. was surprised but said it is okay because my good and bad cholestrol levels are perfect.

I not sure that you have the numbers right. Normally your HLD should be a minimum of 40. That does not leave any room for LDL and VLDL.

If you don't have it, get a copy of the lab report from the doctor and list the Total, LDL, HDL, and triglycerides.

There a people with a genetic mutation that causes very low cholesterol. Those people seem to have a normal and maybe and extended lifespan.

http://jacknorrisrd.com/low-cholesterol-part-2-genetically-low-cholesterol-levels/

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/10/health/rare-mutation-prompts-race-for-cholesterol-drug.html?_r=0

Is this your first cholesterol test?

Was it a big change from older tests?

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

Lower Cholesterol by changing my chemical balance - eating habits
With a history of heart disease in my family (father), I was all to aware of the need to keep my numbers under control. A few years ago, I ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 32 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!