Skip to content
Farewell to Statins?
bobby75703 posted:
Well, the big wigs are now fessing up on statin adverse events. What has been denied time and time again is now coming to surface in this article about a recent medscape video.

"A slide is shown from the PRIMO observational study showing that 15% of people taking atorvastatin have significant adverse effects, and 20% of those taking simvastatin suffer significant adverse effects."

"The discussion then opens out into the worrying problems with statins causing both diabetes and cognitive dysfunction (something vehemently denied for many, many years). Ballantyne was particularly eloquent on these issues."

The article discussing the medscape video:
http://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2013/12/09/a-farewell-to-statins-part-two/

iride6606 responded:
This is a perfect example of cherry picking comments to make a point which is why very few people take Kendrick serious.

Ballantyne's comments this past July;

Nevertheless, the study confirms the tolerability of statins as a class, he said.

"There is this risk of some diabetes and you have to check some liver function tests, which we've known about, but I think it's reassuring to physicians and patients that this is a safe class of drugs,"

Here, you can hear for yourself from the doctor himself;

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Cardiology/Dyslipidemia/40353

Kendrick is all about selling books and promoting hype in my opinion.

bobby75703 replied to iride6606's response:
In my opinion Kendrick is a real man with real integrity. He doesn't sell out to Big Pharma. This guy is not a wimp.

Kendrick's book sales are nothing compared to big pharma's statin sales.

iride6606 replied to bobby75703's response:
Kendrick's book sales are nothing compared to big pharma's statin sales.

Not correct, three words; Economy of Scale,

It's a statistical term that shows the economic effect of scale illustrated below;

Simply put, your good doctor did not have $300M in development costs and another $100M in market costs to make the first return on his book. It's basics statistics 101 and I would be happy to step you through it, let me know.

In my opinion Kendrick is a real man with real integrity. He doesn't sell out to Big Pharma. This guy is not a wimp.

No, but he will take another doctor's quotes and cherry pick the bits and pieces that support his position. If you took the time to watch the video you will hear the exact quotes used in their entirety and in context. You will also hear for yourself the bits that were "picked" for his article, that's contrary to the threads you've posted before. So which is it?

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

Lower Cholesterol by changing my chemical balance - eating habits
With a history of heart disease in my family (father), I was all to aware of the need to keep my numbers under control. A few years ago, I ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.