Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
This Will All Fade Into History
bobby75703 posted:
The fad of lowering cholesterol will one day fade into history.

Just like the 8 track tape player and many other things that have come and gone, so too will aggressive lowering of cholesterol in an attempt to ward off heart disease.

Its already happening. The new guidelines are already pulling away from pushing LDL cholesterol down to record lows.

Learning that "altering the risk factor does not always translate into reduced risk" has been the big lesson in the last 10 years.

Of course, those that know me, know I don't believe artificially lowering cholesterol offers any benefits. In fact, I don't believe cholesterol ever was the demon in heart disease.

So where will we be 20 years from now? I think lowering cholesterol to fight heart disease will fade into history. Internet forums on the subject of lowering cholesterol will vanish also.

iride6606 responded:
How do you come up with that, they only moved the line in the sand. If the new guidelines were moving away from treating high cholesterol, why did they design a program to make more people eligible for statins? And statins do what? That's right, lower cholesterol.

Again, they just moved the line in the sand, nothing more.

bobby75703 replied to iride6606's response:
Yes, they shifted their sales strategy away from low LDL targets, and found another route to increase sales.

Still, Lowering cholesterol to ward off heart disease will one day end.

I forecast the future in cardiovascular care will focus on maintaining artery health and a strong heart muscle. Whats good for the muscles is good for the heart itself, which is completely the opposite from taking statins.

iride6606 replied to bobby75703's response:
Again it's about the money. Perhaps it's just a better guideline and course of treatment and statins are less dangerous and more effective than those that are limited to their beliefs would admit.

There is no proof of any of this money balderdash.

Money will always be big motivator. Its influence is powerful, and can cause even the most upright to bend their morals.

Yes, they did move the line in the sand as you said. But they moved it 100 miles off course from what they preached before.

Now they have come up with a new formula which puts more people on statins from new guidelines. This should come as no surprise.

But I tell the truth, one day lowering cholesterol for cardiovascular health will be obsolete. Just like the telephone booth. Gone. History.

Now they have come up with a new formula which puts more people on statins from new guidelines. This should come as no surprise.

Of couse it comes at no surprise. When you're setting up guidelines to prevent heart disease, you use what works and statins have been proven to reduce both cholesterol and inflammation. No surpise at all, an excellent decision.

Cholesterol will always be a risk factor, where you draw the line is irrelevant.

The reason it comes as no surprise is because profit comes first in the real world.

I do not believe big pharma is pushing for more sales because they want to prevent more heart disease.

If these drugs were not so wildly profitable, or even lost money, I can assure you they would not push them on the public.

Statin Ingredients: 100% pure gimmick.

Horsefeathers, these drugs are not the financial gold mine they were years ago and have not been for some time now, since the introduction of generics which I have explained many times. They have dropped from the most profitable to the third most profitable and still dropping. This is the normal bell curve for profitability that all drugs go through.

At least we're not talking about bias.

FYI, Roger's bell curve for technology is also applied to the life of a drug;

Like it or not, time changes things. One day lowering cholesterol to ward off heart disease will be obsolete.

Like it or not, time changes things

Exactly! The profits of statins has changed, they are no longer the most profitable product being sold by drug companies. Now you got it, you now understand what I'm saying! Again, refer to Roger's bell curve;

Also, of course cholesterol will always be a risk factor, it is why the new guidelines are designed to increase it's treatment with the one class of drugs to lower cholesterol, only the reference point has changed. Do you have evidence to the contrary?

I understand that everything has its hay day, peaks and valleys.
But some things vanish all together over the course of time.

Lowering cholesterol to ward off heart disease will one day be obsolete.

bobby75703 replied to bobby75703's response:
Medical treatment trends change over the decades. Some vanish altogether in favor of better options.

We do things differently today than we did 40 years ago, and 40 years from now we will do things different than today.

Lowering cholesterol to ward of heart disease will one day be obsolete.

So I'll take that as "no iride, I don't have any evidence" or are you saying that the physiology of cholesterol is going to change?

Unless cholesterol no longer is able to penetrate the endothial walls. Unless plaques will no longer be primarily made up of LDL cholesterol then LDL will always be considered a risk factor for developing heat disease.

Why is that so hard to accept? There are other risk factors, not just cholesterol yet we don't dispute them.

You're talking about teatments changing, I thought we were talking about cholesterol as a cause of heart disease. Explain why you are crossing over from cholesterol to medical treatment, I don't see the leap in the intent of this thread or are we changing direction?

The physiology of cholesterol is not going to change. However the the market to lower cholesterol is changing as the public's increased awareness of it's important physical functions.

Slowly but surely the market is eroding away. The demand to lower cholesterol is not what it used to be.

As time passes and more people get burned by the side effects, public attitude toward the drugs deteriorates.

This whole statin thing is on a one way street to becoming obsolete.

Again as one person stated. "Statins will collapse under their own fraud". I would tend to agree.

If the physiology of cholesterol doesn't change, what will plaques be made of in the future?

No, this will always be a risk factor as too much sun is for melanoma. This just doesn't go away.

The same with statins, we are expanding their role as they are proven to be safe and effective. This comes after years of gathering data. We can now look back at the experience of hundreds of thousands of users for many, many years and see just how safe they are. Side effects will happen, that's a fact. But the benefit well exceeds the risk.

I don''t know how anyone can make a statement about "statins being on a one way street to becoming obsolete" when new guidelines just made them the cornerstone of the treatment for heart disaese. Not to mention that their use is being spread to other conditions as well. The big picture thinker can see the huge potential for statins in the future.

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

shannon9585
Shannon, when I have looked thru my lab test hard copies, I saw that the lab techs had divided the hdl -good- cholesterol value into the ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 4 found this helpful