Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
GSK Says It Will Stop Paying Doctors
bobby75703 posted:
This is definitely a step in the right direction.

GSK says it will stop paying Doctors to promote drugs.

The British drug maker GlaxoSmithKline will no longer pay doctors to promote its products and will stop tying compensation of sales representatives to the number of prescriptions doctors write, its chief executive said Monday, effectively ending two common industry practices that critics have long assailed as troublesome conflicts of interest....

Article in full:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/17/business/glaxo-says-it-will-stop-paying-doctors-to-promote-drugs.html?_r=0

iride6606 responded:
What did we learn in the other thread? The majority of money spent by drug companies to doctors goes to research. In GSK's case, of the $120M spent in 2011, $92M went to research. From your post;

Glaxo will continue to pay doctors consulting fees for market research because Mr. Witty said it was necessary for the company to gain insight from doctors about their products, but he said that activity would be limited in scope. A Glaxo spokesman said that each year the company spends "tens of millions" of dollars globally on the practices that it was ending, but declined to be more specific.

Based on 2012 numbers, only $10M in reimbursements to doctors is being eliminated from READING THE ARTICLE.

So you see, very little changes but again, it makes a nice headline and gets all the muckrakers in our society excited.

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

Cholesterol
If i am trying to lower my cholesterol should i be looking at the fat or cholesterol in food? More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.