Physician Receiving Money From Pharma Speaks Out.
bobby75703 posted:
Dr. Carlat tells about his experience receiving money from drug companies to promote their products. Bothered by the ethics of what he was doing, his conscience caused him to withdraw.

Have cholesterol lowering drugs been marketed this way?

Doctors Kiss and Tell Tale: My 1 year Career as a Wyeth Drug Rep

http://ethicalnag.org/2009/11/19/wyeth-drug-rep-carlat/
FirstPrevious12NextLast

iride6606 responded:
Have cholesterol lowering drugs been marketed this way?

You tell us, it's your acusation.

bobby75703 responded:
Its a valid question. Have cholesterol lowering drugs ever been marketed this way?

iride6606 replied to bobby75703's response:
No, you're making an accusation based loosely on the case of one doctor who may or may not be telling the truth. Absolutely not a question though. I don't know how prevalent it is an neither does anyone else. Since it can't be answered it's not a question its an accusation.

A question is; a sentence worded or expressed so as to elicit information. You are making a statement to elicit an emotional response. Big difference, but maybe I'm too literal in my thinking.

Not emotional response from me.

bobby75703 replied to iride6606's response:
I am asking a valid question that has either a "Yes" or 'No" answer.

Have cholesterol lowering drugs ever been marketed this way?

Yes or no?

No emotional response from me. Maybe some one else will play.

"Emotional" has nothing to do with it. Either cholesterol drugs have or haven't been marketed in this manner. Its a YES or No answer.

Anyone is welcome to participate in this discussion.

Its a YES or No answer

Great, support your position for one or the other with logic and evidence and no personal bias or emotion.

I can't therefore I won't answer an open ended question designed to elicit an emotional response.

I'm not asking you personally for an answer to my question.

However I will answer your request for support that physicians are receiving payments from drug companies.

Since the inception of the Sunshine Act, there has been $2.1 Billion in disclosed payments to physicians from Big Pharma. These include statin manufacturers.

Dollars For Docs:
http://projects.propublica.org/docdollars/

bobby75703 replied to bobby75703's response:
More on the problem reported by an NBC affiliate in Connecticut:

Local Doctors get Big Bucks from Big Pharma.
http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/investigations/LWRD-Local-Doctors-Get-Big-Bucks-from-Big-Pharma-208255321.html

How much of this violated standard ethics and fell outside of the guidelines of the Sunshine Act? You have no idea and neither do I.

None of it violated the Sunshine Act and I can assure you no laws were broken. THAT is the underlying problem.

We need new laws with teeth. Very sharp teeth.

Here is another video on the matter:

I-Team Examines Pharma Company Payments to Doctors
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Dollars-for-Docs-Drug-Companies-Doctors-Money-Pharmaceutical-ProPublica-198698641.html

None of it violated the Sunshine Act and I can assure you no laws were broken

That is the answer to your question. I'm glad we both agree nothing shady is being done.

Something very shady was done. They were able to skirt around the legal system by naming the payments as "speaking fees". But in the real world they are buying loyalty.

Even though no formal laws were broken, its a crime of ethics. This is why we need new laws with sharp teeth that send Big pharma execs to prison.

Do you realize in some countries this would be punishable by public execution?

Mr. iride, let me make myself perfectly clear. I have zero tolerance for white collar fraud.