Skip to content
Best ideas for raising HDL and lowering HDL
mr_pepper posted:
I am borderline on my cholesterol and would like to remain drug free, but also keeping eating what I like. Any tips?

billh99 responded:
Exercise helps raise HLD and lower LDL.

Moderate (1-2 drinks) alcohol helps.

Reduce consumption of while flour products and those with sugar.

And you do need healthy fats, but limit the saturated fats.

studiod responded:
  • Limit sat fats to 10 - 12 grams/day
    * Use Extra virgin olive oil instead of butter or canola oil, etc.
    * Add soluble fiber - old fashioned oatmeal, chia seeds, ground flax seeds, bran, etc.
    * Eat less meat and more veggies
    * Drink hot green tea with a lemon wedge
    * Up your HDL by walking 45 min or more per day
    * Cut down on alcohol to max of 2 drinks/day
    * Spiru-Tein as a protein shake once or twice a week

This is a lot of work if you're not used to it, but way better than having to take the drugs that have bad side effects.
    Best of Luck!
  •  
    urbanranger responded:
    Plant sterols are supposed to help. Look for them in some margarines, 'heart healthy' orange juice, etc. Also available in capsule form.

1edgewoodplace responded:
    two years ago coming back from 6 months on the beach and eating a lot of deep fried foods I had 6.8 the doctor wanted me to take 20mg Lipitor. The next day saw another dr and told him why not try 3 month of 10 mg (100 pills)
    I stopped eating eggs, yogurt, pastries, (never eat red meat or canned food) no pizza, no cheese. Took oats in water a lot of brown beans and salads. After 3 months I still had some 50 pills left and my cholesterol was down to 3.2 I walk a lot like 10-15 km a day each day lost some weight but that is fine. At 77 I am doing great.

bobby75703 replied to 1edgewoodplace's response:
    That's great edgewoodplace. Another testimony to what a low calorie diet, and exercise can do in reducing cholesterol.

Diet and exercise is the most powerful weapon. No pill can replace a healthy lifestyle.

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

succes story
    10weeks Gemfibrozil/Simvastatin Trigs 709-97 Hdl 33-46 Ldl 161-86 total cholesterol 304-151 thanks veterans clinic youngstown More
    Was this Helpful?
    8 of 16 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.