Skip to content
Cholesterol Ratio?
litalee posted:
I have high or borderline cholesterol for years, but a few of my past doctors have said the ratio is so good, meaning the good cholesterol is so high that the bad cholesterol is nothing to worry about. but my current doctor put me on a statin I only took for three days before the side effects scared me enough to stop, (doctor concurred that is might be allergic reaction and stop) so now I am trying Niacin-no flush, 525mg. can i use more niacin if this doesn't get it low enough? does niacin have side effect-because I have not experienced any so far in two weeks.what are your thoughts on the ratio aspect and highest dosage of niacin that should be taken?

Take the Poll

Statins aside what has been the most effective cholesterol lowering actions or medications you have experienced?
  • Exercise
  • changing diet- low fat, more fiber,
vote
View Poll Results

bobby75703 responded:
Do you have any known heart disease?

billh99 responded:
The type of niacin in no-Flush niacin does not affect cholesterol at all. A complete waste of time and money.

And yes Niacin does have some side effects. The main one being flushing. And therapeutic amounts are in the 2000-4000 mg range. But you should not try that without a doctors guidence.

Diet and exercise can have a big effect on cholesterol levels.

But LOW FAT is not the way to go. You want low saturated fats, but lots of healthy fats (nuts, olive oil, oily fish, etc).

And limit the simple carbs (anything with white flour and added sugar).

And lots and lots and lots of veggies and fruits.

bobby75703 replied to billh99's response:
Very sound advice.

litalee replied to bobby75703's response:
both parents had high Cholesterol, both died of cancer tho. smoked like chimneys. I never have.

litalee replied to billh99's response:
I have had no side effects from the niacin, and no flushing (hence the name) Niacin-no flush... 525 MG. in three weeks my total cholesterol went from 274 to 217. and taking that Niacin is the only difference in that time. but I have to say the first was a full fasting blood draw and the second was a non-fasting finger prick, I know that is like comparing apples to oranges but still. I dont believe what is good for one person is always what is best for another.

diet and exercise, diet and exercise no kidding? I hadnt thought of that considering it is everything anybody has to say on the subject. yes I do diet and I do exercise, mine is hereditary, diet and exercise is not enough. if it was i wouldn't be asking this question. I know low fats VS saturated Fats I am educated to death on the subject. i know exactly my heart rate to be in the Zone for Aerobic activity too. I have an extremely physical job and have been thin all my life. I asked a question and didn't hear anything I haven't heard before, which had nothing to do with my question.

iride6606 replied to litalee's response:
Here's my take on the cholesterol ratio, but first we need to remember how these lipids work. LDL is the bad cholesterol and is the stuff that settles in your arteries. HDL s the good cholesterol that looks for LDL, binds with it and sweeps it away to the liver where the body decides if it is recycled or flushed out. Once we understand that, it would make sense that there is a point where the proper ratio of HDL to LDL would have the optimum effect on controlling serum lipid levels and plaque build up. Logically it would not make any difference if your levels were low or high as long as the ratio of HDL particles to LDL particles remained the same. Admittedly, I am a numbers person and I look at things with logic but that makes sense to me.

Also, I'm not a big fan of Niacin, but again I'm a doctor in title only, not an MD. Niacin works by making more HDL which in theory removes more LDL, but studies have found that the HDL created by Niacin is not as effective as naturally occurring HDL so I prefer to make mine the natural way with exercise.

Just my opinion, hope it helps.

bobby75703 replied to iride6606's response:
"LDL is the bad cholesterol and is the stuff that settles in your arteries. HDL s the good cholesterol that looks for LDL, binds with it and sweeps it away to the liver where the body decides if it is recycled or flushed out. Once we understand that, it would make sense that there is a point where the proper ratio of HDL to LDL would have the optimum effect on controlling serum lipid levels and plaque build up. "

Its true LDL and HDL perform these functions. I would agree Its very easy to assume this to be the underlying cause of plaque build up. It looks very logical. I have to admit it sounds very good.

But we have to remember there is nothing logical about this disease as it strikes people with perfectly healthy cholesterol ratios and mysteriously allows people with rotten cholesterol ratios to escape.

We still have yet to positively identify the underlying mechanism in heart disease. Until then all we have are theories. The LDL theory. The HDL theory. They all sound great and its OK to lean towards or accept a given theory. As long as we don't lose focus and remember these are only theories.

bobby75703 replied to bobby75703's response:
I agree with iride on the exercise.

I am limited to the exercise I can do. seems like everything has to do with jumping up and down and on your feet. My feet, hips and knees are shot from years of factory/cement 8 to 12 hrs a day. i use to love to run, but now a mile makes me cringe. I walk, power yoga & bicycle but that doesn't get my heart rate up as far as it should. cant afford the "Y", and too far away for a pool. I often wondered how a paraplegic would ever get any aerobic activity other than pushing wheels.

Anon_320 replied to litalee's response:
litalee, if you google "chair aerobics", you will find a lot of exercises that don't even require you to stand. Perhaps there's something there that would work for you.

litalee replied to Anon_320's response:
good idea!

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

LOWERING CHOLESTEROL NATURALLY
I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET MY CHOLESTEROL DOWN WITHOUT STATINS AND FINALLY I AM GETTING SOMEWHERE. I STARTED TAKING PANTETHINE 300 MG. TWICE ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 19 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.