Skip to content
Early atherosclerotic plaques in vessel wall regress completely when cholesterol levels are lowered
iride6606 posted:
They discovered that when LDL cholesterol was lowered, early plaques disappeared almost entirely, which to some extent surprised the researchers.

Wow, it's still early in the study but this is very note worthy!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/02/140227191110.htm

bobby75703 responded:
Hahaha!

iride6606 responded:
This is really exiting stuff and could dramatically change how heart disease is prevented in high risk individuals.

Atherosclerosis, the hardening of the arteries due to the buildup of cholesterol-rich plaques in the walls of arteries, is the primary cause of heart attacks and strokes, which together account for more than half of all deaths worldwide. Advanced atherosclerosis is dangerous and underlies most cases of heart attack or stroke. Scientists have been searching for ways to prevent early-stage atherosclerosis from progressing to the more dangerous, advanced stage to improve outcomes for those patients at risk of coronary or carotid artery disease (CAD).

"The vascular process that responds to plasma cholesterol lowering therapy was not previously well understood, so our aim in this study was to establish a clearer picture of this function," said Johan Bj?rkegren , MD, PhD, co-lead study author and Professor of Genetics and Genomic Sciences at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai. "Our discovery that early-stage atherosclerosis can regress completely, whereas later-stage atherosclerosis is resistant to treatment, suggests that individuals at increased CAD risk would benefit greatly from early prevention using lipid-lowering drugs like statins."

http://www.mountsinai.org/about-us/newsroom/press-releases/scientists-reveal-new-findings-for-reversing-early-and-late-atherosclerosis

bobby75703 replied to iride6606's response:
Iride, if you or anyone else wants to accept the above article, that's fine. You have every right to do so.

12 years ago a Cardiologist unexpectedly opened my eyes. I fought it tooth and nail. Slowly but surely he removed the blind fold from my eyes.

Today I see the cholesterol/statin market for what it is. Its not large. its not huge. Its a MASSIVE commercial network.

The article above may sound encouraging, but its just the industry squeezing the goose to lay more golden eggs.

Cholesterol lowering is the foundation to the statin market. Without it there is little to no market for statins. The drug companies know this. They are very bright. As I said before, expect to see more articles like this in the future.

Sometimes I wish my blind fold hadn't been removed. At least then I could go on thinking the world is a better place.

Take care my internet debate friend. I'm taking a computer break. Later.

Bobby

iride6606 replied to bobby75703's response:
As I said before, expect to see more articles like this in the future.

You are correct because these truths are being proven almost daily now by science. Great days to come for all.

billh99 replied to bobby75703's response:
Cholesterol lowering is the foundation to the statin market. Without it there is little to no market for statins.

Even if cholesterol has zero effect on heart disease the pleiotropic effects are enough to make statins worthwhile.

However, the overall benefits observed with statins appear to be greater than what might be expected from changes in lipid levels alone, suggesting effects beyond cholesterol lowering. Indeed, recent studies indicate that some of the cholesterol-independent or "pleiotropic" effects of statins involve improving endothelial function, enhancing the stability of atherosclerotic plaques, decreasing oxidative stress and inflammation, and inhibiting the thrombogenic response. Furthermore, statins have beneficial extrahepatic effects on the immune system, CNS, and bone. Many of these pleiotropic effects are mediated by inhibition of isoprenoids, which serve as lipid attachments for intracellular signaling molecules. In particular, inhibition of small GTP-binding proteins, Rho, Ras, and Rac, whose proper membrane localization and function are dependent on isoprenylation, may play an important role in mediating the pleiotropic effects of statins.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15822172

iride6606 replied to billh99's response:
Excellent post and it points out what I believe is the most important effect of statins, stabilizing arterial plaques, making them less likely to rupture and causing regression.

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

statins
have taken simvastatin for over three years i am now am diabetic. is it true that statins may have caused me to become diabetic More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.