Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is it my age
littlebit76ok posted:
Why, after all these years of eating horribly has my cholesterol always been good and now that I am getting older (37) and I have started eating healthy and exercising, is it all of a sudden on the rise???

Anon_320 responded:
I can't explain it, but I have found something similar with my own cholesterol. It has improved since I stopped eating low-fat stuff and started eating real butter, sour cream, mayo, etc., and started drinking 1% milk instead of skim.

billh99 responded:
What was you old lipid profile and your current one?
What is your healthy diet.

cjh1203 replied to billh99's response:
I don't remember my numbers, only that they've gone steadily down for a while (although still too high). I go back for labs in a few weeks and will see if I can get printouts of my results for the past year or so.

My diet isn't as healthy as it should be, I'm afraid, partly because I drive my mother and aunt on errands, to appointments, etc., and we go out for breakfast or lunch fairly often. In a restaurant, given a choice between something healthful and something not, I too often go for the "not".

Anyway, when I'm home for breakfast I have either a hard-boiled egg, half an avocado and a piece of whole-grain toast with butter, or an egg scrambled with mushrooms and spinach that have been sauteed in coconut oil, and toast with butter.

Lunch at home is often a sort of pressed sandwich made with a whole-wheat tortilla filled with grilled portabella mushrooms, green pepper and onions, as well as spinach, tomato and avocado. Sometimes, I'll have a frozen organic, low-sodium meal of some kind, but I try not to have more than a couple of those in a week.

Twice a week I have poached salmon and asparagus for dinner. Other times, it's less healthy things like pasta with whatever I have in the fridge. For dessert, I often have plain Greek yogurt with a little bit of honey, walnuts and berries.

I drink 2-3 glasses of low-sodium V-8 juice during the day.

That all sounds pretty good, but I do graze too much and not always on healthy stuff. My favorite food group is white, unfortunately!

I suspect that the salmon, avocadoes (I have at least half of one every day) and walnuts (which I also have every day) might be part of the reason my cholesterol might be getting better, but don't really know.

Anyway, that was a very long answer to your question. I'm sure that other people here eat much better than I do.

bobby75703 replied to cjh1203's response:
You could always try cutting back or eliminating grains and sugars just to see what happens. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

Lower Cholesterol by changing my chemical balance - eating habits
With a history of heart disease in my family (father), I was all to aware of the need to keep my numbers under control. A few years ago, I ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.