Is it my age
littlebit76ok posted:
Why, after all these years of eating horribly has my cholesterol always been good and now that I am getting older (37) and I have started eating healthy and exercising, is it all of a sudden on the rise???

Anon_320 responded:
I can't explain it, but I have found something similar with my own cholesterol. It has improved since I stopped eating low-fat stuff and started eating real butter, sour cream, mayo, etc., and started drinking 1% milk instead of skim.

billh99 responded:
What was you old lipid profile and your current one?
What is your healthy diet.

cjh1203 replied to billh99's response:
I don't remember my numbers, only that they've gone steadily down for a while (although still too high). I go back for labs in a few weeks and will see if I can get printouts of my results for the past year or so.

My diet isn't as healthy as it should be, I'm afraid, partly because I drive my mother and aunt on errands, to appointments, etc., and we go out for breakfast or lunch fairly often. In a restaurant, given a choice between something healthful and something not, I too often go for the "not".

Anyway, when I'm home for breakfast I have either a hard-boiled egg, half an avocado and a piece of whole-grain toast with butter, or an egg scrambled with mushrooms and spinach that have been sauteed in coconut oil, and toast with butter.

Lunch at home is often a sort of pressed sandwich made with a whole-wheat tortilla filled with grilled portabella mushrooms, green pepper and onions, as well as spinach, tomato and avocado. Sometimes, I'll have a frozen organic, low-sodium meal of some kind, but I try not to have more than a couple of those in a week.

Twice a week I have poached salmon and asparagus for dinner. Other times, it's less healthy things like pasta with whatever I have in the fridge. For dessert, I often have plain Greek yogurt with a little bit of honey, walnuts and berries.

I drink 2-3 glasses of low-sodium V-8 juice during the day.

That all sounds pretty good, but I do graze too much and not always on healthy stuff. My favorite food group is white, unfortunately!

I suspect that the salmon, avocadoes (I have at least half of one every day) and walnuts (which I also have every day) might be part of the reason my cholesterol might be getting better, but don't really know.

Anyway, that was a very long answer to your question. I'm sure that other people here eat much better than I do.

bobby75703 replied to cjh1203's response:
You could always try cutting back or eliminating grains and sugars just to see what happens. You might be pleasantly surprised.