Skip to content
Riding high with Cholesterol
An_256181 posted:
My cholesterol has always run to the high side and I have tried to counteract this by running at the very least 2 miles 3x a week. I also swim for 1/2 hour, jump rope 3x week. I eat grapefruit, rarely drink alcohol, eat nuts, vegetables, and eggs almost everyday. We recently moved from the city to the suburbs so my food intake is at the whim of restaurants that most likely use a ton of butter and sugar, starches and other unhealthy additions. I try to shop and eat at home but with two kids it's often feast or famine.

Five days a week I take a multivitamin, Wobenzym N, Ultra Natural Prostate, Acetyl L-Carnitine (250 mq), Vitamin D-3 (1,000 IU), Men's Choice Vitamin (for men 18- 49), Glucosamine Chondroitin Plus MSM, Ubiquinol QH active coQ10 (100mq), Alpha Lipoic Acid (100 mq), Super Omega-3 and Amino Acid Chelated Zinc (50 mq).

In June, 2005 my results looked like this:
214 cholesterol

I had a physical and just received my results. They're horrible and I'm at a loss to understand, beyond possible genetics, why. Would love to hear how to radically change these numbers as the doctor would like me back in a month to repeat the physical.

242 Cholesterol, 194 Triglycerides, 163 LDL.
I'm 44 years old, 5'6" in height and weigh 155 lbs.

Any expertise would be greatly appreciated.

bobby75703 responded:
Unexplained rising lipid counts in mid life. The first thing I would check is thyroid hormone since there is an inverse relationship between thryoid hormone levels and lipid levels.

A TSH test is not enough. It should include a FT4 and FT3. Otherwise you won't have an accurate picture.

Your 2005 test was in my opinion perfect. 214. Thats the number I would pick for total cholesterol if I could pick my numbers.

Your latest results. I wouldn't use the word "Horrible". Yes they have gone up, but I know of a population who had total cholesterol and LDL exactly like yours, and they had one of the lowest rates of heart disease in the world.

Back in the 70's a total cholesterol of 240 was considered normal, and heart disease was declining.

I would say you are right about the restaurant food. Sometimes we are are stuck for eating out. We get a ton of calories when eating out. Trimming calories can have a significant effect in lowering lipids in most people.

Keep up the great work with the exercise.

iride6606 replied to bobby75703's response:
Your latest results. I wouldn't use the word "Horrible". Yes they have gone up, but I know of a population who had total cholesterol and LDL exactly like yours, and they had one of the lowest rates of heart disease in the world.

I know the people you are speaking about as you've mentioned it before. They have a high average TC because of a high average HDL based on their riet, doesn't really apply here as the poster is looking more at a problem with high LDL.

Back in the 70's a total cholesterol of 240 was considered normal, and heart disease was declining.

This was attributed to the improvements in traeating and preventing heart disease, without that the number would have continued to increase.

To the original poster, you LDL is very high at 163, it should be under 130. DIet and exercise is a great start, but remember only 10% of your serum cholesterol levels come from what you eat. You need to work closely with your doctor to get your LDL under control.

bobby75703 replied to iride6606's response:
"I know the people you are speaking about as you've mentioned it before. They have a high average TC because of a high average HDL based on their riet, doesn't really apply here as the poster is looking more at a problem with high LDL."

The population I was referring to had total cholesterol at 247, and also had high LDL at 169. Yet they had some of the lowest amount of heart disease on the planet.

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

Lower Cholesterol by changing my chemical balance - eating habits
With a history of heart disease in my family (father), I was all to aware of the need to keep my numbers under control. A few years ago, I ... More
Was this Helpful?
36 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.