Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Statins Can Stimulate Cardiac Muscle Cell Regeneration, Improve Heart Function
iride6606 posted:
"Pravastatin increased the number of progenitor cells in bone marrow in proportion to the dose of the drug, which correspondingly increased the number of progenitor cells circulating in the blood stream and ultimately localizing in the heart,"

"This occurred in as little as five weeks after treatment with pravastatin, using animals that had chronic coronary artery narrowings and dysfunctional hearts, with completely normal cholesterol levels. The number of cardiac myocytes increased in the hibernating hearts after pravastatin, and this 'new' population of myocytes was remarkably smaller than the existing myocytes, suggesting they arose from myocyte regeneration."

http://www.buffalo.edu/news/releases/2009/02/9921.html

bobby75703 responded:
An excellent example of the pharmaceutical industry squeezing the goose trying to get it to lay more golden eggs.

Under no circumstances will inducing a deficiency of the mevalonate pathway and its downstream products ever enhance or promote cell regeneration. Cell deterioration yes.

"Squeezing the goose" articles are very common in the statin economy. There is an ocean of statin propaganda articles out there. All designed to support this lucrative market.

bobby75703 replied to bobby75703's response:
To even suggest statins stimulate cardiac muscle cell regeneration is as ridiculous as saying "A class 5 hurricane hit a town and improved the neighborhood."

iride6606 replied to bobby75703's response:
Please explain the mevalonate pathway that you mention so often. How does it work and what does it do?

You protest but the science disagrees with you.

Read, open your mind, learn, get past the headlines;

http://www.amepc.org/apm/article/view/575/571

Statins exert biphasic, dose dependent effects on angiogenesis. At low doses, statins induce angiogenesis, whereas angiogenesis is inhibited at higher doses. These biphasic activities of statins on endothelial cell biology can be explained by the properties of the biosynthetic pathways that originate from mevalonic acid.

Recent studies have shown the restoration of endothelial function before significant reduction of serum cholesterol levels effect of statins on the endothelium were first defined by their ability to enhance endothelial NO production, upregulating endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) PI3 kinase/Akt signaling, which is a crucial regulator of cell metabolism and apoptosis, appears to mediate statin-induced eNOS upregulation.

http://pharmaceuticalintelligence.com/2012/10/08/statins-nonlipid-effects-on-vascular-endothelium-through-enos-activation/

bobby75703 replied to iride6606's response:
My mind is wide open. I have learned. My blindfold has been removed. Thanks to some very good Cardiologists with integrity.

bobby75703 replied to bobby75703's response:
My blindfold was removed years ago by good physicians. I now see the market for what it is.

Its really sad. Very sad. The abandonment of true medical science in favor of sales and marketing hype.

farsidexyz replied to bobby75703's response:
Urban renewal.

I like the science. No marketing here, the study was funded by the National Veteran's Administration and the NIH.

Did it occur to you that your "very good Cardiologists" were wrong and pushed their misguided beliefs off on you?

By the way, did these very good Cardiologists explain the mevalonate pathway to you? You seem to be locked onto it but never really explain it.

iride6606 replied to iride6606's response:
Also works on liver cells;

CONCLUSIONS: Low-dose statin treatment increased KDR/Flk-1-dependent angiogenesis, which resulted in an increased regeneration response. In contrast, high-dose statin therapy decreased angiogenesis without affecting long-term regeneration responses. Finally, statin therapy may contribute to liver regeneration due to prolonged IL-6 expression independent of statin doses.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21094864

iride6606 replied to iride6606's response:
There are many, many studies on this. This is very interesting and reading this topic as made this coast to coast flight seem like the shortest ever;

Statin therapy is associated with an increase in the number of circulating EPCs in patients with CAD. The increase in EPCs and improvement of their migratory capacity was significant as early as at 1 week after the initiation of treatment with atorvastatin, with a 3-fold increase at 3 to 4 weeks of therapy. The mobilization of circulating EPCs, along with their enhanced functional activity may contribute to the beneficial effects of statins in patients with CAD. The migration and incorporation of EPCs to the sites of re-endothelialization was found significantly increased after statin administration.

This is a new push in research and is proving very promising.

It probably helps if you understand the science involved.

http://www.vascularcell.com/content/2/1/6

There are so many propaganda "studies" out there, if you stacked the papers they would reach 30,000 feet. Hope your airplane doesn't hit the stack.

You are welcome to accept them if you want. Myself on the other hand, when I read this stuff, red flags begin popping up everywhere.

When George Parker sold the Brooklyn Bridge to unsuspecting individuals, he also provided documentation. He had Deeds.

Nothing has changed in the last 100 years except these type things have become more sophisticated.

Some people see red flags to ensure their core beliefs stay intact. Fact versus belief, not propaganda.

Mevalonate pathway?

Some people see red flags, when there are red flags.

And some see red flags where none exist, its just perspectives.

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

Cholesterol
If i am trying to lower my cholesterol should i be looking at the fat or cholesterol in food? More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 6 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.