Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Statin May Cut GVHD in Stem-Cell Recipients
iride6606 posted:
This is incredible reading. Based on a large number of ongoing studies involving stem cells, they all seem to be pointing to one drug that can promote cell regeneration and reduction of graft versus host disease (GVHD), yes.......... statins.

I have a prediction, statins will play a major role in the development of stem cell treatments.

Statin drugs have potent immunomodulatory and anti-inflammatory effects that have relevance to GVHD, the authors continued. The drugs are thought to exert both direct and indirect effects on T-cell activation and inflammatory response. Statins also have the ability to promote development of regulatory T cells, and expansion of the regulatory T-cell population represents an attractive strategy to prevent acute GVHD.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/HematologyOncology/Hematology/42539
FirstPrevious12NextLast

bobby75703 responded:
"I have a prediction, statins will play a major role in the development of stem cell treatments."

That would be nice if it were true, but don't hold your breath. Statins promote cell degeneration.

If you don't believe me, ask the dead people who suffered prolific cell degeneration from statins. If they could talk, they would beg to differ with you.

bobby75703 responded:
Iride, the people behind these articles are bright people. These articles are carefully worded with escape words and phrasesso that no one can charge them with research misconduct or file suit. They are protected from the law by careful wording.

Statins MAY...

The drugs are THOUGHT TO...

Nobody is saying statins actually perform these tasks. No claims are made. Its a speculative article. The legal system can't prosecute someone for speculation or theories. No crime has been committed.

What they are doing is hanging a white hat on statins, projecting a good guy image.

iride6606 replied to bobby75703's response:
Statins also seem to work on cell regeneration for blood cancer patients and prevent GVHD:

Blood cancer patients who are treated with allogeneic cell transplants are less likely to experience severe acute graft-versus-host disease (GVHD) if their donors take statins, a commonly-used class of cholesterol-lowering drugs, according to a study published in the journal Blood in December. Because they also found that statins don't reduce the therapeutic effects of the transplant, the authors of the study suggested that statins may be an effective preventative treatment for acute GVHD.

It is simply amazing what these researchers are finding out, yet there will be some that will continue to look away as to not shake their core beliefs.

http://www.myelomabeacon.com/news/2010/01/20/statins-reduce-acute-graft-versus-host-disease-in-allogeneic-stem-cell-transplants-study-finds/

bobby75703 replied to iride6606's response:
Core beliefs doesn't have anything to do with it.

It's all about core beliefs.

No sir. Its about money.

Great, show me.

Just open your eyes and show yourself.

I have looked, I don't se it. When someone says something is happening I excpect they can show me otherwise it's just a rumor. This must be a rumor.

Nobody can see for you iride. You have to be able to see for yourself.

I can only see what I'm shown, but you are right that I can't see rumors, that's all some people have. Rumors, headlines and drama.

Anon_320 replied to iride6606's response:
Iride6606, I've been reading your posts for a long time. I have a hard time understanding why you are so relentlessly pro-statin. I have never seen you even consider the possibility that they do harm a significant number of people or that they might not be the wonder drug they're touted to be. Do you work for a drug company or in statin research in any way?

iride6606 replied to Anon_320's response:
You have not read enough of my posts, I have never claimed that statins do not cause injury, they do for some and that is a fact. I just want people to understand that is the exceptiuon and not the rule as others would represent. They have a valued place in medicine and should not be overlooked.

I am not affiliated with statins, I am a research analyst that has worked on some of these studies. I prefer that people here present facts and not opinion, especially when they are affecting what some people think about their treatment.

I personaly don't care what people do as far as statins go, but let's have a fact based discussion and not one that's all opinions and headlines.

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

Lower Cholesterol by changing my chemical balance - eating habits
With a history of heart disease in my family (father), I was all to aware of the need to keep my numbers under control. A few years ago, I ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.