Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is my GP right ?
blgerrard posted:
I am concerned that my understanding of my results is different from my GP's

1. I'm told my total is 6.5 which I understand is high. But I'm also told that the total is calculated as HDL plus LDL plus 20% of trigs which in my case is 1.82 plus 4.1 plus 0.24 which = 6.16 . Still a bit high but more borderline. Why is there a difference ?

2. My GP seems to regard the total as being the most important element yet my understanding from previous tests is that it is the ratio (total/HDL) together with the HDL and trigs numbers which are important. In my case all of these are well within the good/desirable range. Ratio = 3.57, HDL = 1.82. Trigs = 1.2. Only my LDL at 4.1 is on the borderline high side but this would seem to be compensated for by the other results.

Other factors associated with potential cardio vascular problems are in my case all quite benign. No family history of cvd, no diabetes, no high blood pressure (not on pills), no diabetes, not overweight, reasonably active, take exercise, non-smoker, little fat in my diet.

I do not wish to criticise my GP but equally I have no wish to be persuaded to take statins if it's not necessary. Any advice would be appreciated.

billh99 responded:
I have to convert your number, which are in mmol/l to mg/dl which is used in the US.

HDL 1.82 => 70
Trig 1.2 => 106
LDL 4.1 => 159

TC 6.5 => 251
TC 6.12 => 237

However, you have it backwards. The most common cholesterol test measure TC, HDL, & estimate the LDL from TC - HDL - Trig/5.

In the US you can get a copy of the lab report and see what the numbers are.

I use estimate because the it is not always accurate. Specially for high levels of Trig.

However, there are test that do directly measure LDL.

I am not sure how predictive of looking at the TC/HDL ratio is to the LDL level. In the use by the low guideline and LDL of < 100 is optimal, 100-130 is sub-optimal, and 130-160 is high and 160 is very high.

Under the new guidelines unless it is over 190 then look at the 10 year risk factor.

Here is a risk calculator that is specific to the British population. http://www.qrisk.org/

However measuring the number of LDL cholesterol particles, and not the amount of cholesterol, is a better indicator of risk. In the US that is the NMR. I don't know if a similar test is available in the UK.

Also you can get a CT calcium scan (Cardio Scan) the will measure the amount of calcium in the heart arteries which is an indication of how much is any plaque is building. That is often for people that are "on the fence" about how much risk they have.

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

Excercise
Tried many forms of excercise and running seems to be the best for me for lowering cholesterol. More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.