Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Statins benefits and risks - UK
iride6606 posted:
A release from last week from the UK's version of the FDA;

All effective medicines can cause side effects in some patients and a small proportion of patients taking statins will inevitably experience side effects. Although they may be distressing to the individual concerned and limit that individual's willingness or ability to tolerate statin use, statin-related side effects are generally mild and not medically serious.

• mild muscle pain: 190 cases per 100,000 patient years

• myopathy: 5 cases per 100,000 patient years

• rhabdomyolysis: 1.6 cases per 100,000 patient years

• http://www.mhra.gov.uk/Safetyinformation/DrugSafetyUpdate/CON418521

As in the US, statins are proving to be safer and safer every year since their introduction.
    FirstPrevious12NextLast

bobby75703 responded:
    Those numbers are a far stretch from what Physicians are seeing in clinical practice.

iride6606 replied to bobby75703's response:
    Clinical practice numbers are dropping dramatically, these are not that far off. The numbers reported by doctor's that oppose statins skew the numbers as they tend to push patients towards a negative conclusion.

bobby75703 replied to iride6606's response:
    Sounds exactly like what my old sales Manager would tell me to say to overcome an objection. Being skilled at overcoming objections is a trait of top sales people.

From a sales perspective you did an excellent job of sweeping the side effects under the rug. A customer who hasn't done their homework would probably accept it.

But I know the clinical practice side effects are NOT dropping dramatically, so you will have to sell your statin to someone else. I'm not buying today. But thanks anyway.

Actual incidence of side effects in the UK seen in clinical trials are dropping. Clinical experiences seem to be over stated.

You are perfect for sales.

"Clinical experiences seem to be over stated."

Two very important sales tools are a rug and a broom. Now go tell the patients who suffered that their bad statin experience they shared with the Doctor won't be counted.

Never been in sales a day in my life, I deal in truth.

I have been debating with you on this site for a long time. Honestly, based upon your postings I think you would do very well in sales.

You do like making that accusation don't you. I guess that's the easy comeback.

iride6606 replied to iride6606's response:
    Statins have virtually no side-effects, study finds.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10693895/Statins-have-virtually-no-side-effects-study-finds.html

Statins have virtually no side effects, with users experiencing fewer adverse symptoms than if they had taken a placebo, a major study claims.
    Researchers at Imperial College looked back at 29 trials involving more than 80,000 patients taking the cholesterol lowering drugs.

They concluded that the chance of experiencing debilitating symptoms like nausea and fatigue was slightly less among people taking statins than for control groups given a placebo.

You do like making that accusation don't you. I guess that's the easy comeback.

Not an accusation, but an honest assessment. You said you "deal in truth" Then sales is not for you.

I have enough experience in sales to know its not for people who get a guilty conscience having to bend the truth a little to close the sale.

I have seen it over and over and over. Closing the sale and getting that commission is the most important goal. The well being of the customer is of little concern. You must be very aggressive and strive for numbers. Pleasing your sales manager is top priority. You perform or you will be out the door looking for a job. The pressure to sell is incredible! You have bills to pay. Suddenly you are over glorifying the product you are selling to meet those bills.

Its stunning what can flow out of the mouths of those who are selling something. Truth and integrity tend to fly out the door.

Exaggerating the benefits while hiding the drawbacks becomes par for the course.

Think statins have "Virtually no side effects"? Think again.

I have enough experience in sales to know its not for people who get a guilty conscience having to bend the truth a little to close the sale.

Because this defines you, does not make it the standards. I doubt you had a regulatory agency to report to.

bobby75703 replied to bobby75703's response:
    The pressure to sell is not just upon the salesperson in the trenches. Its also upon the sales manager, the district manager, the regional manager and on up the ladder to the CEO.

If you have a truly wonderful product and most your customers are happy, that's wonderful. But if customers start complaining and the product has severe problems, corporate will feel the pressure more than anybody.

20% of your customers are complaining of injury. Sitting in your glass office on the 35th floor you lean back in your leather chair. You feel backed into a corner. You have two choices. You reach for lipstick to put on the pig, or you resign and look for another job.

Guess what happens most the time. You guessed it. Lipstick.

Because this defines you, does not make it the standards...

It does not define me. I was in an industry I did not belong in.

There is a wise old saying in the sales industry. "Nice guys finish last."

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

Excercise
    Tried many forms of excercise and running seems to be the best for me for lowering cholesterol. More
    Was this Helpful?
    2 of 3 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.