Skip to content
Thought for the Day
bobby75703 posted:
There would be no such thing as "Cholesterol Management" if it were not for sales. Somebody has to peddle the products to keep the industry alive.

billh99 responded:
And there would be no such thing as Pneumonia Management if there was no sales of penicillin.

iride6606 replied to billh99's response:
Careful, that sounds a little like logic.

bobby75703 replied to billh99's response:
Pneumonia is a real disease.

iride6606 replied to bobby75703's response:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000392.htm

billh99 replied to bobby75703's response:
So you are saying that atherosclerosis is an imaginary disease?

And that I had my CABG only because there was a salesman selling scalpels.

bobby75703 replied to iride6606's response:
True FH effects 1 in 500 people.

Pharma sales now has 1 in 4 people over the age of 45 in the United States on cholesterol lowering drugs.

Its really about sales and achieving numbers. Its about making people think they are sick if their cholesterol is above 200. Its about putting ads on TV to scare people into buying statins, or risk a heart attack. Its all sales. sales, sales and more sales.

Statin use is up and heart disease is down, pretty good record by any measure.

bobby75703 replied to iride6606's response:
Association does not prove causation. You represent yourself as a Researcher. You should know this.

Heart disease was down considerably BEFORE statins hit the market. Statins have made Zero difference in the decline.

Lets see if you try to deny history again.

Not denied, just explained it.

To put these views in perspective, statins are associated with one of the greatest public health triumphs of the past 30 years: halving America's death rate from coronary heart disease. From 543 per 100,000 men in 1980 the death rate fell to 267 deaths per 100,000 (adjusted for the aging of the population) in 2000. From 263 deaths per 100,000 women in 1980 it fell to 134 per 100,000 in 2000, data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention show.

Looking at it another way: As a result of the lower death rate from coronary heart disease, 341,745 fewer Americans died in 2000 alone.

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

Lower cholesterol without drugs
I also had cholesterol numbers that kept inching higher. At 237 my dr. suggested meds. I don't want to go that route so took a good look at ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.