Skip to content
New cholesterol guideline improved accuracy of statin assignment vs. previous guideline
iride6606 posted:
The likelihood of statin prescription increased sharply with plaque burden, with better performance in all cases when patients were assessed according to the AHA/ACC guideline compared with the NCEP guideline. Fewer patients without plaque and more patients with heavy plaque would have been assigned to statin therapy under the AHA/ACC guideline compared with the NCEP guideline.

http://www.healio.com/cardiology/chd-prevention/news/online/%7Bffc1e92d-1335-4a73-aa46-e332a238b39f%7D/new-cholesterol-guideline-improved-accuracy-of-statin-assignment-vs-previous-guideline?sc_trk=internalsearch

bobby75703 responded:
Did the drugs do anything to eradicate heart disease for these people?

bobby75703 replied to bobby75703's response:
... or rather I should ask, WILL the drugs do anything for these people to eradicate heart disease?

Time will tell. But there needs to be follow up imaging studies to know for sure.

iride6606 replied to bobby75703's response:
What we do know is that the risk of a cardiac event will be significantly reduced by these guidelines by better identifying those that would benefit from statin use. In fact, it is statistically correct to assume that the risk reduction seen will escalate with time as more poeple that need statins are identified and prescribed and people are dropped from statin use that do not need them.

bobby75703 replied to iride6606's response:
Assume?

Of course not, it's simple math. The current risk reduction models are all based on a control group made up of both high and low risk participants. As that control groups shifts to more people that are more likely to see a reduction in risk and away from individuals that are not likely to see a benefit, the risk reduction will increase. Again, simple math based on the make up of the control group, not hard to predict since we know that every trial done since the beginning of all this shows that lower cholesterol levels are associated with a reduction in risk of CAD.

bobby75703 replied to iride6606's response:
Predict?

Only the arrogant make predictions. I'm simply throwing my opinion about the possibility of an increase in the risk reduction due to the make up of the participants out there. Nothing more, no prediction or assumptions.

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

Lower Cholesterol by changing my chemical balance - eating habits
With a history of heart disease in my family (father), I was all to aware of the need to keep my numbers under control. A few years ago, I ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.