Skip to content
Lipitor and Resveratrol
dogdiamond posted:
I had been taking Resveratrol for many months and felt better than I had in years, but about a month ago I stopped taking it because I was put on Lipitor and was told by the pharmacist that i could not take the Resveratrol while taking Lipitor. Now I feel horrible , my skin looks horrible and my depression is back with a vengeance( even though I've been taking an antidepressant for 15 years). I want to take the Resveratrol again and have done alot of research on it. I cannot find anyone else who says that it cannot be taken with Lipitor. Is the pharmacist mistaken? She didn't know what Resveratrol was and I spelled it out for her and, I assume, she looked it up somewhere and told me that it would ruin my liver if I took it with Lipitor. Is this true? Can I take the Resveratrol with the Lipitor or is there another cholesterol lowering drug that I can take with Resveratrol?

toneman84084 responded:
Here's why the two can not be taken together:

Drugs Metabolized by Cytochrome P450 3A4

Resveratrol has been reported to inhibit the activity of cytochrome P450 3A4 (CYP3A4) in vitro (108, 109). Although this interaction has not been reported in humans, high intakes of resveratrol (e.g., from supplements) could theoretically increase the bioavailability and toxicity of drugs that undergo extensive first-pass metabolism by CYP3A4. Drugs known to be metabolized by CYP3A4 include but are not limited to HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors (atorvastatin, lovastatin, and simvastatin), calcium channel antagonists (felodipine, nicardipine, nifedipine, nisoldipine, nitrendipine, nimodipine, and verapamil), anti-arrhythmic agents (amiodarone), HIV protease inhibitors (saquinivir), immunosuppressants (cyclosporine and tacrolimus), antihistamines (terfenadine), benzodiazepines (midazolam and triazolam), and drugs used to treat erectile dysfunction (sildenafil).

Simply put, this supplement can increase the level of toxicity in your blood when used with a drug in the same class that metabolizes using the above listed enzyme as does most of your statins.

Confusing, but I hope this helps.

Tony

dkrenik replied to toneman84084's response:
What about this study that showed resveratrol and statins in combination lowered cholesterol more effectively than either one alone?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1857339/

Dave

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

statins
have taken simvastatin for over three years i am now am diabetic. is it true that statins may have caused me to become diabetic More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.