Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Help!! Very High Cholesterol
pagriffint53 posted:
I recently found out that my cholesterol total is 270. The doctor has given me 6 months to get it down myself, although he doesn't think I can actually do it. Both my parents are on meds, one of Lipitor and one on Crestor. My mother has had multiple issues with pain from her meds. She was on Lipitor prior to Crestor.

Can someone help me. I truly don't understand where to start. I am on disability, with a leak in my spinal column. I can do some non-jarring exercise. I am starting a 5 to 6 day a week walking program and after the first of the year I am going to do water aerobics.

I thought I was eating properly but after doing some reading I find out I wasn't doing very well at all.

Here are my numbers:

Total 270 (rec. 125 - 200) HDL 51 (rec. > or = 46) Triglycerides 111 (rec.

healthygrandma4ever responded:
I also had high cholesterol and my dr. wanted to put me on meds. I said no way. He didn't think I could do it but in 3 months I had mine down from 260 to 217. I want it lower but am encouraged as to how quickly it came down. I did it with diet and exercise. I started walking 5 miles a day. 3 is sufficient. I take one Tablespoon of flax seed oil daily. I eat oatmeal 5 mornings and put it on the oatmeal. I take fish oil capsules. I eat only fish or ground turkey. Lots of veggies and at least 3 fruits a day. I also eat all the cholesterol lowering foods I can. Almonds is also very good. Go online and start researching. It is all there. You can do it!!!!!

bobby75703 responded:
I agree with healthygrandma about the diet and exercise. Besides, statin drugs only have around a one percent absolute risk reduction, and there are considerable risks asscociated with statins.

If you haven't already done so, I would recommend a thyroid evaluation. TSH, FT4, and FT3. Don't let them forget the FT3. It is in my opinion, the most important number when it comes to lipid metabolism.

The exercise will help increase your metabolism which in turn burns off excess lipids. But the reduction in cholesterol that results is merely a side effect from the exercise. The increased metabolic rate is where I believe the cardiovascular benefit comes from.

Statins will lower your cholesterol by inhibiting an important metabolic pathway which also produces CoQ10 and other vital products for metabolism, and in no way offers any metabolic gains. You get a rosey lab report, but limp out of the doctors office if you get struck with side effects.

Bobby

DeadManWalking56 responded:
You can also take CoQ10 supplements. I do that along with my Vytorin.

Try to cut way down on fats in your diet if you can.

As far as the exercise goes, build up gradually. That way you'll feel better from it, and not worn out. As you feel stronger from the exercise, you will want to do more. Most people try to do to much, then give up thinking they can't do it.

Taking this gradual path since my bypass surgery 4 years ago, I had no setbacks until last summer, from some over-confidence and getting a little lazy. Last spring I spent 3 hours on my feet playing badminton, and never got tired. In March 2006, 2 months after surgery, I could barely walk around the block once.

As your exercise capacity build up, it help help lower your LDL. Combined with my diet, I lowered my LDL by 60%. Statins are only supposed to have contributed 5-10% of that.

DMW

janelo responded:
How much CoQ10 should you take daily?

pagriffint53 responded:
Thanks for all the info and encouragement. I would like to know how mcuh CoQ10 to take also.

Again, thanks.

pagriffint53 responded:
I looked at my test results. Here is what is says for the Thyroid test.

TSH, 3rd Generation W/Reflex to T4

Is the 3rd generation the T3 you mentioned?

Thanks!

bobby75703 responded:
I take 100mg CoQ10 Daily.

The 3rd generation TSH is NOT the T3 test I mentioned.

T3 is the active form of thyroid hormone. This is the hormone that can have a significant impact on cholesterol and triglycerides. The FT3 is the free unbound T3 circulating in the blood and available for use by the body. A lack of T3 would elevate blood lipids, while excess T3 would cause cholesterol levels that are too low.

TSH is simply the signal from the brain asking the thyroid to make more thyroid hormone. TSH does not measure the amount of thyroid hormone in the blood.

There are two basic thyroid hormones in the blood.

FT4 is the inactive thyroid hormone circulating in the blood stream. The body converts T4 into T3 by dropping one atom of Iodine, making it into T3 the active thyroid hormone.

This can have a significant impact on cholesterol levels.

Bobby

DeadManWalking56 responded:
I take CoQ10 twice a day. I think that was because I found it economical in 50 mg or 60 mg bottles. Lately, its been more economical in 100 mg bottles, and I still take it twice a day. I could probably look for the smaller dose, or take it just once a day.

My cardiologist had suggested taking it, and he said 3 years ago that about 100 mg a day seemed what the research showed to be beneficial.

If you can gradually increase your fitness, in duration and intensity, that should also help bring down your LDL and triglycerides.

bobby75703 responded:
DMW, I also found the 100mg CoQ10 capsule to be the most cost effective.

Its interesting to look at the graphs at how much CoQ10 levels in the heart drop as we age. I think CoQ10 and exercise are important in maintaining a strong heart muscle.

Keeping a close eye on thyroid function as we age is another good idea. Between thyroid function, a clean diet, physical activity, sunshine and fresh air, a person can make a huge difference in metabolic function.

I sometimes think of metabolic function the same way I think of a gas furnace in a house. You want a clean blue flame burning inside you.

Bobby

brian1951 responded:
I had Total 320....essentially sweating gravy, and i am in otherwise excellent health - 58 yo male. Solution, became Vegan two years ago, and still at 180 with daily exercise. I may be able to get off Crestor later this year, but even with vegan diet and a minimum of 30 minutes cycling per day and circuit training 3 times per week, my HDL/LDL is not great.....genetics.

Erdeto responded:
I'm 75 and have had known high cholesterol for 35 years. I first controlled it with and extrememly rigid diet and excercise. As I got older diet and exercise were not enough. My Dr. put me on many different statin drugs that worked for a while, but always caused serious body pain.

Your LDL's are the culprits. Get those down and the total cholesterol will go down too.

I went to a "Natural Doctor" (one that my Dr. would label a "quack") that put me on an otc product called Lipi-Control. I also take 200 mg CoQ10. I now eat a sensable diet and some excercise, but I will eat sausage/eggs/fried potatoes or a piece of pie & ice cream occasionally. Prior to taking Lipi-Control, I would not have even considered eating those things.

My last #'s in Sep.t were Chol 166, HDL 48, LDL 74 and the Chol/HDL ratio was 3.46. My Dr does not believe in otc meds, so he prescribed 500 mg. niacin only and my #'s were Chol, 237, HDL 50 , LDL 132 with a ratio of 4.74.

You can find Lipi-Control at www.Griffinmedicalgroup.com. I buy the CoQ10 at Vitacost.com. I have no affiliation to Lipi-Control, Vitacost or the Griffin Medical Group, whatsoever.

Good luck, I know you can do it.

overthelimit responded:
New to the too high cholesterol group - what is CoQ10??

oldieforsure responded:
Brian, In Dec 1990 ( I was 57 then) a blood test showed 308 total cholesterol. HOWEVER that was not the real culprit. My HDL was only 7. My dad died of Coronary Thrombosis at age 35, my brother of same disease at age 52. It appears I lasted a little longer because I was quite active. In early 1992 I got my total cholesterol down to 178 but my HDL still was only 26 or so. I was on a skim milk, no sugar bran cereal breakfast, celery, carrots and radishes for lunch and 2 ounces of low fat meat, no gravy or butter potatoes, and a steamed vegetable. I went from 178 to 141# and was taking Lopid and 2000mg of Niacin daily. After my second heart attack I had quad by-pass (Apr '92). I had a third MI in Dec '93 and lost about 10% of muscle in left ventricle. I have been very fortunate in that I have been able to maintain weight & diet control. Not easy but very rewarding as I am still ablt to raise my heart rate 50 % with daily treadmill and recumbant bike in basemant. Today I am on Lipitor, Top[rol XL and 1500 mg Niacin. DON'T GIVE UP, our genes may not be the best but hard work will bring rewards. Since my second MI I have lived to give our daughter away in marriage, seen our son marry a beautiful woman, enjoy 8 grandchildren ( 6 born since 1992) and God has blessed me with 17 extra years with a lovely wife and loving companion for my final years.

teacherjane responded:
I also have high cholesterol and had lots of pain, weakness, balance and brain fog issues with the cholesterol lowering drugs. I had a cardiac cat scan and it showed no placque in 3 of the heart arteries and only 0.8 in the fourth so apparently the high cholesterol was not a danger to me. However, since going on the cholesterol lowering drugs I lost the ability to exercise like I had been doing (walk 4 miles a day) which was probably very protective. I recently stumbled on a product called TeaFlavin which is a combination of fish oil and a high concentration of green tea flavinoids. It lowered cholesterol 14-17 points in a study of 200 people and lowered the cholesterol of the person who told me about it by that much as well. I am able to take this with no side effects (yeah) and it is reasonably priced at about $20.00 a month. You can contact the company at their web site www.nashai.com and get their phone number from there and if you want you can call and talk to someone about the study and the product. I found them very helpful.

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

LOWERING CHOLESTEROL NATURALLY
I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET MY CHOLESTEROL DOWN WITHOUT STATINS AND FINALLY I AM GETTING SOMEWHERE. I STARTED TAKING PANTETHINE 300 MG. TWICE ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 14 found this helpful