Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Vitamin D3 and cholesterol link?
jcjaldin posted:
I have had high cholesterol (260-270 usually but sometimes as high as 300+) for the past 10 years. I had tried statins for a while but I had to stop due to severe side effects. I'm not overweight and have no other risk factors (male 41 years old). Diet did not work either. In September 2009 I started taking vitamin D3 supplement (2000IU) daily due to back pain (I learned that Vitamin D helps with bone health and decided to see if this would help my back pain). After two weeks taking Vitamin D3 I had my yearly medical checkup and to my surprise my cholesterol levels came back within the normal range (190), I had not changed anything in my lifestyle except for the Vitamin D. My primary care physician and my cardiologyst did not think (almost laughed) that Vitamin D may have a direct relationship with the cholesterol. Since then I have researched more on Vitamin D and Cholesterol levels and there seems to be some supporting evidence. I would like to know your opinion on this. By the way, I do not have back pain anymore and my dentist told me two weeks ago that my receding gums have healed and asked me if I was doing something special about it but I haven't, is Vitamin D helping with this too?.

bobby75703 responded:
Wow! What a great question. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I am aware of a relationship between vitamin D and cholesterol. When sunlight shines on the skin, the UVB rays shine on a cholesterol component in the skin layers, and this starts the process of the body manufacturing vitamin D. Simply stated, you need cholesterol to make vitamin D.

I was unaware of oral vitamin D in lowering cholesterol levels, however this may make sense when you consider vitamin D isn't a vitamin, but more like a steroid hormone. We know that other steroid hormones such as testosterone or estrogen do in fact have an impact on cholesterol levels.

We are still learning about Vitamin D, and it has been BIG NEWS lately. Perhaps Vitamin D does have an impact on metabolism, which may lower cholesterol. Now you have me very curious.

Thanks again for sharing that.

Bobby

jcjaldin responded:
Thanks Bob for your reply. My layman's theory on how oral Vitamin D may help reduce Cholesterol levels is as follows: The liver produces Cholesterol to among other things provide the raw material for Vitamin D production. If Cholesterol cannot be converted into Vitamin D due to lack of sun exposure then Cholesterol remains in the blood raising the levels. When Vitamin D is orally ingested and absorved by our bodies, our levels of Vitamin D raise and the liver does not need to produce cholesterol to compensate the lack of Vitamin D. Less production of Cholesterol by the liver means less excess cholesterol in the blood. I think that cholesterol management should consider the use of Vitamin D supplements as a first step in the treatment of this condition. Nowadays almost all physicians would automatically put you in statins when you have high cholesterol levels, I hope this would change and try a Vitamin D supplement first for a few weeks and see if it worked as it is working for me. Thx

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

Vit D reduces muscle pain from Statin
While the data is still mixed there is an indication that many people who get Myalgia (muscle pain) while on a statin suffer from low ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.