Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
24 and needing cholesterol med??
jnmeyer829 posted:
I'm a 24 yo female, and me doc recently checked my cholesterol and thyroid. My cholesterol is HIGH!! total chol is 219, LDL is 136, and HDL is 75, triglycerids is 39... I do cardio (spin/run) 5 days a week and do strength train 3 days week... I weigh 124lbs! My body fat is 15.6%, not too high . I don't eat fried food, and maby fast food only 1 time a month if that.. ..... So he wants me to start taking Crestor, to lower my bad cholesterol, he says i'm not "technically a canidate" yet but hes afraid if I wait untill i'm 45, then it will be too late, and I will already have too much blockage formed... What should I do, take it or not?? Whats the long term side effects of taking this type of med?

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi jnmeyer829,

You can read about Crestor or any other medication by clicking on the Find A Drug link which is under the Drugs & Supplements horizontal menu at the top of the page.

Discuss any potential side effects that you are worried about with your doctor or pharmacist.

- Annie

astrodave responded:
for a very comprehensive list of potential side effects see here:

http://www.spacedoc.net/board/viewtopic.php?t=1653

as some of the potential adverse effects are debilitating and PERMANANT think long and hard about starting a statin at your age!!!! read all you can about the science behind the lipid hypothosis and statin drugs

some suggestions:
for the negative view start here:
http://www.spacedoc.net/

for the alternative side start here:
http://www.ourhealthcoop.com/pauling.htm

for the women and statins side start here:
http://www.whp-apsf.ca/pdf/statinsEvidenceCaution.pdf

study the above then visit and ask questions on the forum here:
http://www.freewebs.com/stopped_our_statins/
or here:
http://www.spacedoc.net/board/

then figure your real risk and talk to your doctor again armed with what you have learned.

David

bobby75703 responded:
jnmeyer,

You are young and have a healthy lipid profile.

The possible side effects o a statin drugs as reported by those taking them are:

* Muscle pain and weakness.
* Joint pain.
* Muscle spasms/ twitching.
* Sexual dysfunction/ loss of libido.
* Flu-like weakness.
* Memory problems.
* Personality changes.
* Neurological symptoms

Thats a general overview of real world complaints from statin users. There are more, but thats the primary side effects.

Whats the likely hood of experiencing side effects? Thats been a subject of great debate, depending on the source the info is coming fro there are 2 basic answers.

The drug companies will cite numbers in the area of 1% or less experiencing side effects. However polls of people taking statins show about 20% experiencing side effects to one degree or another, with roughly 4% experiencing significant side effects. The exact number is not known.

Most people who do experience bad side effects recover after stopping the statin. Some people take months to years to recover, while a few will experience permanent damage with a partial recovery.

Sadly during the human trials of Crestor, a 39 year old woman died, and about 6 others did get a muscle wasting disease called rhabdomyolysis.

Ultimately, its your decision. I have outlined the risks for you. Although I can't tell you what your % risk is if you take it, I can tell you one number that is solid. If you decide not to take the drug, your risk of being harmed by it falls to zero.

You got your whole life ahead of you. Weigh the risks and rewards before taking any drug.

Bobby

HealthfulMe responded:
Hi jnmeyer829,
It's overwhelming to be advised you have a health issue that needs attention when you are active and fit -- and it sounds like you are. While the decision about medications needs to be made with your doctor, you should also look more closely at your diet. There may be foods you are consuming that while healthy, are also high in cholesterol. Additionally, there may be foods that you are not aware of, that can help you manage your cholesterol through dietary changes (for example, eating foods fortified with plant sterols can actually reduce your cholesterol). Read and learn, get yourself educated about which foods fit into each category (see www.kardeanutrition.com for lots of excellent charts) and actually track your intake in writing. Start by modifying one meal or snack daily to reduce or eliminate the cholesterol, then make more changes once you have a comfortable routine in place. For example, snack on raw almonds, Kardea Nutrition bars, hummos and veggies. Or replace your eggs with egg whites and use exclusively olive oil rather than other oils.

wannabewood responded:
educate yourself in what cholesterol is and what statin drugs are, and what you can do to set things right for your long and healthy live style.Dr's (some not all) are fast to give med's when they need to point us in the right direction of a life style change. If you like to read, read all you can (especially labels on foods) you'd be surprised.

bobby75703 responded:
Your cholesterol is not high. Its normal and healthy. There is absolutely no evidence that you starting crestor now will prevent blockages when you are 45. Its all sales.

Going to the doctor today reminds me of going to the State Fair. At the Fair you can't walk by the booths without someone trying to sell you on throwing darts and winning a Teddy Bear. 100 people will pay to play, but only one person walks away with a Teddy Bear.

Goldenfoxx responded:
Anything over 200 is considered high 19 over. Your LDL is 6 points over, and your HDL is high (very good). Your tris are also low which is also good. If it were me, I wouldn't take the meds at this point in time. However, I would get tested for high cholesterol every 6 months. That's how you stay on top of it. I take Zocor and have brought my cholesterol down--but it gives me some muscle pain which is a side effect. I have very high HDL - 101! But I walk 4 miles a day (hills). Exercise is the one thing people can do to raise their good HDL, exercise doesn't have any effect on LDL from what I have read.

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

Lower cholesterol without drugs
I also had cholesterol numbers that kept inching higher. At 237 my dr. suggested meds. I don't want to go that route so took a good look at ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 18 found this helpful