Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I am 24 with high cholesterol
jennlynn85 posted:
I am 24 years of age. I eat healthy and exercise. But yet I have high cholesterol. Is there something i can add to my diet?

bobby75703 responded:
Jennlyinn85,

Thats good that you eat healthy and exercise. If you don't mind my asking, just how high is your cholesterol that you are concerned?

shannon9585 responded:
I am 24 and also eat healthy and exercise. My doctor recently told me that I had high cholesterol as well and I was baffled. After researching a little, I realized that when checking cholesterol, you're supposed to fast before for about 12 hours before your blood is drawn. My doctor hadn't told me to fast, so I didn't. She later said my cholesterol numbers may be high because I wasn't fasting. Could this be what happened to you?

All_is_One responded:
shannon9585 is on to something there with the possiblity that you didn't fast before the test. If that's the case, then fast at least 8 hours before the next test and see if the numbers are within normal limits, which they should be close to normal since you eat healthy and exercise.

In case you're really worried about getting the HDL/LDL ratio to be at its optimum, incorporate some olive oil whenever you can into your diet. Either replace olive oil with other unhealthy oils you might already consume or look for foods that you can sneak this into.

NOTE: Even though it raises HDL and lowers LDL, it is still loaded with calories so take that into consideration. You exercise so you should be okay using olive oil in moderation.

Also, if you don't eat avocados, start adding that into your diet. Its full of healthy unsaturated fats, which aid in raising HDL and lowering LDL. Your blood pressure will also benefit from it. If the arteries aren't clogged, the blood vessels are at less risk for inflammation or hardening.

good luck!

nucare responded:
Hi,
I dunno how high your cholesterol and blood pressure levels are, but my wife was pretty serious half year ago, her cholesterol level was 340 and blood pressure was 165/98. Recently she has been taking Omega-3 and Vitamin E together, last weeks checkup, her cholesterol level down to 260 and blood pressure was 130/88/. She was surpised for the result. she didnt take any liptor. here is wut she taking

http://www.marketamerica.com/guobin/product-2247/heart-health-essential-omega_iii_fish_oil_with_vitamin_e.htm

I hope this can help u too!

astrodave responded:
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/science/a/lowcarbcholest.htm

Featuring Experts

There are no Expert stories for this community right now

Helpful Tips

Cholesterol
If i am trying to lower my cholesterol should i be looking at the fat or cholesterol in food? More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.