Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Taking a break from clomid
purple_escape posted:
Hey everyone! I'm new to all of this and thought I'd post my first discussion. My husband I have been trying to conceive since last August. In April of 2011, I was diagnosed with PCOS. We started our first round of clomid (50 mg) in July and no luck. I had an ultrasound on day 14 and no dominant follicles. Then again this past month, I started my second round, with an increased dose (upto 100 mg). On my ultrasound on day 13, my follicles showed 2 dominant follicles, one on each ovary. I was very excited and my husband and I did the bd almost every day for the next week and half. But I got AF today I hate to even ask for everyone's opinion about this, but we have the opportunity to travel to Australia this winter, and I sort of want to stop taking Clomid for the next few months. Has anyone had any experience with stopping the clomid for a few months? For the past year, having a baby has pretty much been the only thing on my mind. Every month I get my hopes up, only to find out it didn't work again. I know we've only been trying for a year, but I feel like I need a break to think about other things in our lives. Has anyone else taken a break from Clomid and then gone back to it a few months later? I haven't consulted my OBGYN, but thought I would get some other feedback first. Thanks!!!

BabyParks responded:
Yes I take breaks often in between each cycle actually. I should be able to start clomid back next month for IUI. In the process of trying for baby 2 I have been on and off of clomid since February 2011 and was on it for3 months straight came off 2 months and back on another month with IUI and still not pregnant so I took off time again for surgery and here I am waiting for next cycle to see what dr. suggest next. I think we all need a break from time to time. I have been TTC for 16 months now and I needed a break and am glad I took my mind off of trying for a while. I hope this helps and I hope you find peace in taking a break and you may just get pregnant on your break, you never know. I have friends that have had that happen to them. I haven't personally but after surgery I think I realize I had a few issues of my own and not just all hubby. I am thankful I went thru with surgery and can't wait for followup tom afternoon. Keep me posted on whatever you decide and much baby dust to you...

livelaughmoe responded:
I would think you would be able to. My doc is going stopping me from doing Clomid after 4 tries as it made my ovaries to large.

Spotlight: Member Stories

--Michelle 26, DH 32. We had been trying to conceive without help since 2009--with help since March. I have PCOS and mild endometriosis. I had laprosc...More

Helpful Tips

Helpful Tips
AF-Aunt Flo BFN- Big Fat Negitive BFP- Big Fat Positiove EWCM- Egg White cervicle Mucus CM- Cervial Mucus LMP- Last menstral Period BBT- ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 28 found this helpful