Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
First round of Clomid- Nervous : /
mom2bhopeful10 posted:
Hello Ladies, I am expecting aunt flo next week and start my first round of clomid day 5-9. I am nervous and dont know what to expect. I am wondering if anyone has experienced any side effects with it and how they handled it. I have never been pregnant before and not being able to get pregnant on my own is becoming really hard for me. My husband has two children from a previous marriage so sometimes its hard to find someone to talk to who actually understands how i feel.

Me(25) DH(36) TTC(12mnths) First Clomid to be(1/12)

Mercerswife responded:
Welcome to the community mom2bhopeful10. I hope you find the support and resources to help you along your journey. I'm currently on my 4th cycle of Clomid and have had many side effects. I would have to say the biggest thing is prepare your husband, your emotions will be all over the place and he will just need to be supportive and understanding. I found myself crying over everything and nothing many times. I got really bad headaches, cold like symptoms off and on as well as breast tenderness but that's about it. The side effects are worth it in my opinion. I hope that helps and good luck. I would also invest in an OPK (ovulation prediction kit), that will help you time it. You have to prepare yourselves for timing sex, that was the hardest part for my hubby was the pressure and me telling him when we had to have sex. I've found this community to be a big help and lots of supportive women who understand what you're going through. Sending you baby vibes and KUP! {{}}

maragayle responded:
Head aches, breast tenderness, hot flashes, nausea. There's lots of side effects. The nausea and hot flashes are the worst for me. My best advice is not to read into how you're feeling. Many of the early pregnancy signs are also side effects for Clomid, so don't let your body fool you.

OPKs are great, but they might drive you crazy. I HATE taking them. Don't test until the day you are supposed to for pregnancy! If you test early you'll just try to justify the BFN by saying it was too early. You're better off just waiting, though that can be difficult!

The ladies in this community are great! It's awesome to have people to talk to who know how you're feeling. We're all going through the same struggle here, so feel free to vent! Sometimes it's just want you need! Good luck with round #1.
Me 23, DH 24, TTC 18 months, on round 6 of Clomid

mom2bhopeful10 replied to Mercerswife's response:
Thank you this has been very helpful and I have had a talk with my husband tonight about it. During our year we tried on our own I would use the OPK's and try to let him know when i was going to be ovulating and he pretty much reacted like your husband. I am doing my best to prepare both of us for this next step. Thank you! Fingers crossed for you!
Me(25)DH(36)TTC(12months)Clomid 1st(1/12)

maragayle replied to mom2bhopeful10's response:
For me, it sometimes works better if I DON'T tell my husband when it's time to BD (baby dance). Just try to get him in the mood without mentioning it.
Me 23, DH 24, TTC 18 months, on round 6 of Clomid

deliela999 replied to maragayle's response:
I'm with you. DH doesn't want to know those details. It is challenging when he isn't in the mood. He's been a little better since I had a meltdown and told him he needed to be more cooperative if he doesn't want me to tell him which days we need to BD. After 4 cycles of clomid I'm on a break waiting for my first appointment with an RE. I did get a yesterday, but I think it's too early and I don't really trust those things anymore. I'm just using them so I have more information to take to the RE.

mom2bhopeful10 replied to deliela999's response:
I have had the meltdown too, I think our biggest problem is DH has a low drive. Usually if he isnt in the mood when we need to BD I try to get him in the mood but sometimes I get frustrated and give up. We have talked about him going to the doctor to have his testosterone levels checked so thats been a constant battle, ugh...I got him some FertilAid vitamins the reviews are really good on it, so hoping that will boost things on his side a little.

ElizaRae1 responded:
I am just about to begin the second round of clomid. I was started with a dosage of 50 and had some cramping and was emotional but nothing too bad. I had one night that I experienced a sharp pain (which I've heard can happen when your body is trying to ovulate and it just isn't able to) but that was the worst of it. My test did come back negative for ovulation, and it devastated me. My dr. told me that in most cases the lowest dosage (50) will not cause ovulation, and I wished that she had told me that before I started.
Please don't be discouraged by this, but I just wish that I had been aware of this. If your test comes back negative for ovulation, they just increase your dosage. Wishing you all the best!!

HootyBird1 replied to mom2bhopeful10's response:
I really feel ya there @ mom2b,, my Dh has ALWAYS had a low sex drive. and that is really all I can say about that without ranting, Except I really should ask him to get his testosterone levels checked too, ya know he is also a very nice calm guy, I seem to have more testosterone at times, both in passion and in anger! Maybe nice guys really do finish last, OMG this is so awful to say out loud, but it feels good to share.

mom2bhopeful10 replied to HootyBird1's response:
I know sometimes I feel bad talking about my DH like that too, but on here its great cause you can let it out and somebody here can relate to it. My DH's problem was starting to make me crazy so the last time I went to my general doctor I had a talk with him about it, and he reccommended the testosterone level check along with some other bloodwork so you might want to check into that for your DH. I have found out that it is really hard for a man to ask for that kind of help bc having that problem and talking about it to someone doesnt make them feel like much of a man....but if you figure out the right way to get him to think its a good idea then it might work. I ordered my DH some vitamins they are called FertilAid its a supplement that helps with sperm production/motility that kind of stuff. Since he has started to take them he has been in the mood a little more for BD'ing. Just something you also might look into.

jminer333 responded:
I was on Clomid for 7 months and the only side effect I had was mood swings. Not bad ones, just a little extra sensitive. I handled alright for a while, but I ended up taking Prozac until I became pregnant and that helped a lot. Once I got pregnant I stopped the other medication.

jrich2282 replied to mom2bhopeful10's response:
I am brand new to this. I am so relieved to hear that other women share the struggle of being married to a man that has a low sex drive. Our doctor drew blood to test his testosterone level. It came back at 585. Which on the the levels of testosterone it is right in the middle of the scale for normal range. It is very, very frustrating that my DH is not in the mood and does not want to know when it is time to BD! I will say that he does better when he is relaxed, but having a baby quickly isn't as important to him as it is to me. He took my first doctors advice and attitude of "it will happen when it happens". He has bad morphology and motility. I recently have changed doctors and she is awesome! This will be the first cycle on clomid, estradiol, and prometrium..... praying that this is the little boost that we need!
My husband and I are both 30. We have been trying for our 1st baby for almost two years.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband and I have a beautiful 5 year old. However we did want more children and wanted our kids to be close in age so in August of 2012 we decided...More

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.