Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Clomid and IUI success after multiple miscarriages
An_243166 posted:
I just finished my FIRST cycle of 50mg Clomid. No side effects but some hot flashes at night. Dr plans to do IUI based on my ultrasound appointment next week, (if all looks good she will give me a shot to induce ovulation). Clomid and IUI was just suggested by my Dr after multiple miscarriages (3 in two years, one loss at 10 weeks, others 5-6 weeks). We have been through all the tests, and no problems were found. I tend to get pregnant easily just can't keep the pregnancies. I just turned 39 and dr said age may be a factor. She suggested the Clomid / IUI to get a "good egg" with the "right sperm". I have a 5 year old son (but he is a blessing from a previous marriage). Anyone else in a similar situation and achieved a successful pregnancy? How many rounds did it take? Multiples?

I am cautiously optimistic but could use some support, in what appears to be a unique situation. Thank you!

Lucy19 responded:
Hello!
My husband and I ware trying to get pregnant right after we got married but we were not having any luck. We had to attend an infertility class and we had to go through some testing to find out if there were any problems. Apparently there were no problems and there was no explanation as to why we were not getting pregnant. My doctor suggested I take Clomid for three cycles and have artificial insemination. It only took one cycle because we got pregnant on the first try. I now have a healthy boy who is about to turn three in April. We have been trying to get pregnant again after my son turn a year old because we are not that young any more so we want to try and have our family as soon as possible. I have been getting pregnant naturally after my son was born; however, I have not been successful in keeping the pregnancies. I have already had 5 miscarriages in a row. The last pregnancy my doctor suggested I take prednisone and progesterone suppositories, which I took, but I ended up losing the pregnancy anyway. I was supposed to be 9 weeks and 5 days when I went for my second visit but there was not heart beat anymore and the baby had stopped growing at week 8. I am now going to see if my doctor can prescribe clomid once again to see if maybe that is what I need to keep the pregnancy. Otherwise, I do not think I want to keep trying only to keep losing them. I have had two D & Cs, two that came down on their own and this last one I chose to take medicine instead of having another D & C. This is really hard for me but I have so much faith in Clomid because it has been a success for us. I wish you luck...I know you will get pregnant and go on to carrying a full term baby!

hopefulinsf replied to Lucy19's response:
Hi,

I am experiencing similar issues to both of you. I've had two miscarriages at 5 weeks. I went to see an RE this week, and while they are doing testing to determine if anything is wrong, they discovered I only have 12 follicles (I'm 32) and have recommended I consider clomid and IUI to increase the odds of getting the "right egg." I was just curious if you both were successful with this form of treatment or what worked for you? Hope you have both gone onto have successful pregnancies!

anamae responded:
Hi Ane, I'm on my second clomid cycle (50mg during five days and 75UI of HCG for more eight days and than Pregnil to induce ovulation. I'm also 39 as you and I'm very worried about it. On the first cycle I got 3 good size eggs and it didn't work (we had sex the natural way). I'd like to know about your treatment more thoroughly sense we are the same age.

Regarding your miscarriage, my sister had two in six months before she could have a full pregnancy. Exams also didn't indicate any problem. When she got pregnant for the 3rd time, she got an specific medication to avoid miscarriage and it worked. She just gave birth two weeks ago and she is 38, so there's always hope for us all that forgotten to be mums because of carriers and jobs. At least, that were our case and now we regret it. Girls out there! Don't wait for your 30s if you can.

Good luck to us all, Anna Mae
Best Wishes, Much Love,
Anna

anamae replied to hopefulinsf's response:
Hopefulins,

You only have 12 follicles total? Or 12 follicles growing? If it's your total quantity, if I were you I would go to IVF right away.

Regarding followed miscarriages, my doctor usually prescribes an specific drug to avoid miscarriage only after two and it really works. Maybe you girls should talk about it with your doctors too.
Best Wishes, Much Love,
Anna

anamae replied to hopefulinsf's response:
Hope,

We won't get any info from them! I just noticed their comments were posted two years ago -83D-E09
Best Wishes, Much Love,
Anna

butterflys97 replied to anamae's response:
Hi ladies anamae and hopefulinsf,

I am in the same boat, I have had 4 miscarriages all ending between 5-6 weeks. It's really hard. What is the specific medicine tht was prescribed to avoid miscarriages?

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.