Skip to content
3rd round clomid / ovidrel / iui
laurasnow posted:
Hello everyone... I've been reading the posts here for over a year and a half, but haven't posted before. I'm just hoping for maybe a little feedback or new perspectives, I guess. So, I am currently seeing an RE for unexplained secondary infertility. DH's SA was great, and we've had the counts for iui at 48, 48, and 60 million. I've been on 50mg, then 100mg, then 150mg clomid. The follicles (usually 2, and always on the right) have increased in size for around 18 in cycle 1 to 22 in cycle 2 to 26 in cycle 3. Now I read that 26 is too large. I am so frustrated, and I really don't know how many more months I can go through with any treatment. Our third iui was yesterday, and I was very hopeful, but today I feel like I've been run over by a mack truck (emotionally - physically, I'm feeling much better than I did after the first 2 iuis.) The only thing that gives me any hope is that this cycle was so different than the first 2; I had literally NO s/e from the clomid, and I feel fine after the iui. They both failed, obviously, so maybe change is a good thing? We have a 2 1/2 year old daughter (no help necessary) and would like one more child. However, I will be 37 in a few months and our insurance does not cover IVF, so time and money are of the essence here. I know injectables really work well for some people, and I have no problems with shots, but I feel like I'll just be setting myself up for another few months of disappointment, lots of money spent, and the loss of all hope. Of course, I now have the 2WW staring me down. Any suggestions?

deliela999 responded:
Have you asked your RE what other options he'd suggest? Many women that don't have luck with clomid do better with femara. I jumped from clomid alone to femara with injections. My RE doesn't use clomid because by the time you make it to him most women have already tried it with no success. He thinks femara is better. I don't know if femara alone would have worked for me, but the mix I did worked on the first round. We didn't do IUI because DH's SA was fine. The gonal-f (FSH) injections into my stomach were no big deal. I got all dizzy and strange after my novarel (HCG) shot, but I really think that was emotional as I realized this might finally actually work. Good luck finding the right answer for your body!!

att76 responded:
Hi!

Your story is very similar to mine. I am 36 and have been trying for almost 2 years. I have no children, but have been on clomid 6 cycles (3 months just clomid and 3 with clomid, iui, and hcg shot). When i had my IUIs I had the same kind of symptoms you have been experiencing. My first 2 iuis I had extreme cramping pre and post IUI. The second iui was the worst cramping I had, Dh stayed home from work because he was worried about me. the 3rd IUI i had minimal cramping before and after, it was the best I felt with any of them. I thought okay this is going to happen this month. Everything was different, but I wasn't pregnant. After that we got referred to an RE. I had a LAP surgery where they found severe endometriosis and scar tissue. I am finally getting back into the ttc "game." My insurnace does not cover any of the infertility treatments so this has all come out of pocket. I know the pain of constant disappointment each month can get very emotional, but you must stay positive. I have found that the break we just got done with was a very welcomed break. Maybe if this does not work you could take a month off and regroup. I know how hard that can be...trust me.

Deliela is right about trying femera, my RE if we do another IUI with him will only do femera becasue it does not create as many side effects as clomid does. it also does not affect CM like clomid does.

Sorry for the long post, i hope i helped a little. Good luck with the 2ww and let us know how it goes.
Me(36), DH(37), 3 rounds clomid, TTC 18 months, 3 IUIs with HCG trigger/clomid BFNs, referred to RE, appointment 3/21, LAP surgery 3/28, sitting out this month b/c of MMR shot

laurasnow responded:
Thank you ladies for your encouragement! I know I am very fortunate to have had a child, and I am also fortunate that our insurance at least covers meds, various tests & procedures including IUI. My RE does 3 months of Clomid (If you hadn't been on it before, which I hadn't; my OB/GYN referred me immediately, as she said there's a reason this is what RE's specialize in...). After that, the protocol is to move onto injectables for 3 months, then they go to IVF. I guess I might be able to persuade him to extend some part of treatment, but knowing that in all likelihood I am nearing the end of assistance is sad to me, as I can't afford IVF. As it is, I feel guilty for the money already being spent on this. I don't know if he prescribes femara, since it wasn't discussed at our consultation post-testing, and it isn't listed on any of the literature he provided, but I will ask next time I go in. Thanks for the kind words and I will try to keep positive! One more thing - when you have tests done, do you ask exactly what the numbers are, or just accept generalities, ie "good". I feel like I want to know exactly what the E2 and progesterone levels are, for example, but I know I would probably go online and research the numbers to death, LOL. Anyway, Thanks Again!

att76 replied to laurasnow's response:
You know I have always accepted the "good" answer, but only because I always forget to ask what the numbers are.

I understand what you mean about IVF being expensive. DH and I have talked about what we will do when that route comes, he told me when that time comes we will be able to do it. Not sure though about how many rounds.

Make sure to ask about Femera when you talk to your RE next time. Good luck!
Me(36), DH(37), 3 rounds clomid, TTC 18 months, 3 IUIs with HCG trigger/clomid BFNs, referred to RE, appointment 3/21, LAP surgery 3/28, sitting out this month b/c of MMR shot

deliela999 replied to laurasnow's response:
You are definitely fortunate for the insurance coverage. My insurance only covered diagnostic tests, so all treatment was out of pocket. I don't know if we ever could have managed to pay for IVF or if we would have wanted to gamble it. We would have had to save for about a year for each cycle so I can only imagine how I'd feel with a failed cycle. I will recommend shopping around for your meds, especially once you move on to injections. I had prices from $500-over 1200 from different pharmacies. Even with insurance coverage I'll guess you are paying a percentage.

As for the test results sometimes they told me the numbers and sometimes they didn't but I tried not to let myself stress over it. What I could find online varied so much I decided to trust my doctors. Good Luck!!

laurasnow responded:
Just an update... Moving on to the next phase of treatment. I figure I'll try it and see how it goes. My RE put me on Metformin, and that alone gives me a bit of hope based on some things I've read and heard. So, I'll have been on it for a few weeks by the time AF shows up, then I will begin shots of Bravelle and Menopur, with Ovidrel trigger. A little nervous that this won't work either, but I guess you can't succeed unless you try. Good Luck to everyone and TONS of Baby Dust!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 23 years old and my husband and I have been trying to concive for about 2 years. I was diagnosed with PCOS and I think I have every possible sym...More

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.