Skip to content
What to Expect When You're Expecting - the movie
maragayle posted:
DH and I had a movie night last night. These usually consist of rentals because going to the movies with a two year old isn't practical. (Plus, don't you hate those people who bring their kids?!)

We rented this movie thinking it would be a good laugh. Partially we were right, but I don't know how I felt about watching it afterward. DH looked at me and said, "it's like our life! They're living our life!"

Spoiler alert! If you haven't seen it...there's a woman who has bad eggs who spent their retirement on failed IVF. They're pursuing adoption. There's a woman who finally conceives after 2 years of treatments. They show the couple BDing to the calendar, etc. There's another couple who goes through a miscarriage. To which DH said, "that's terrible. That's sad. Why would they show that?" To which I replied, "because your wife is significantly more likely to have it happen to her." Finally, there's a ditzy, young woman who gets pregnant by surprise which is ill received by those suffering from infertility.

There was this one part where the couple who had been TTC for two years finally got their BFP. The wife comes running to the side of the community pool where her husband is doing laps holding 5 pregnancy tests in her hand and jumps into the pool to tackle her husband and tell him the good news. I looked at DH and said, "just so you know, that's going to be me. You've been warned."

Part of it was refreshing. You see all of these movies where people spontaneously get pregnant, but infertility isn't often portrayed. They did a good job portraying it, down to the feelings of guilt one wife felt for not being able to conceive when it's women's "wifely duty" to be able to. It was also nice to see that the emotions I've felt throughout this process are common enough that they made a movie out of it.

I was also left feeling sad. Really, really sad. I guess knowing the emotion first hand in each part of the movie was a bit much for me. In the end, most couples are holding their babies. I was left wondering if that was ever going to be DH and I. It's starting to feel like it's not.

It just got me thinking about the entire process. A giant heads up if you're planning on watching this movie...be prepared for it. Also, make sure you have lots of tissues.
Me 23, DH 25, TTC 2 years,8 rounds Clomid, round four 7.5mg Femara this cycle, test 8/27

Leah25Brooke2 responded:
I'm glad they portrayed it well.. but I'm not glad it made you sad. I really think there is hope for you to conceive, I think there is hope for all of us. We have to have hope or this would be just too hard. I understand the frustration of trying for so long.. and I really hope you get your BFP soon!
Me(26)DH(28)DD(3) TTC 2nd- 13 mos, 1st round of clomid 50mg - BFN, 2nd - MC, 3rd- BFN. Been trying naturally 6mos, waiting for AF in Sep to start 100mg of Clomid!

maragayle replied to Leah25Brooke2's response:
I found this quote today:

"It's impossible," said pride. "It's risky," said experience. "It's pointless," said reason. "Give it a try," whispered the heart.

It seems to sum up TTC quite nicely. My pride is saying it's never going to happen, my experience tells me I'm lighting my money on fire, my reason is saying continuing to try is pointless since I'm always getting the same results, but my heart still aches for that baby.

I never thought this battle would last more than two years. I'm emotionally drained!
Me 23, DH 25, TTC 2 years,8 rounds Clomid, round four 7.5mg Femara this cycle, test 8/27

Leah25Brooke2 replied to maragayle's response:
I bet you are!! I am and I've only been TTC 13 mos.
Me(26)DH(28)DD(3) TTC 2nd- 13 mos, 1st round of clomid 50mg - BFN, 2nd - MC, 3rd- BFN. Been trying naturally 6mos, waiting for AF in Sep to start 100mg of Clomid!

sspraglin responded:
Saw the movie last night and Im really hoping for one of the happy endings. I certainly cant afford the ivf and all that stuff .I was a bit emotional at the end too.

Leah25Brooke2 replied to sspraglin's response:
I watched it today. I thought it was really funny, and like you said maragayle, well portrayed. I cried when the girl had a m/c. I know what thats like and it's terrible, but she was farther along in her pregnancy, which has to be even worse. I also cried when the couple adopted the ethiopian baby. I think adoption is a miracle too, and I feel those babies that get adopted go to the home that they were always really meant to be in. I thought the lady who had a c-section who tried for two years was really really hilarious. Man she cracked me up! My pregnancy with Brooke wasn't horrible like that at all, no bad symptoms.. my feet didn't even swell and I had an epidural at 6cm.. so not much pain either.. but I'm glad that they portrayed the fact that sometimes pregnancy just sucks for some women. The movie left me really hopeful that this round will work!

maragayle replied to Leah25Brooke2's response:
Glad you liked it. I was on the fence about watching it in the first place, but it was confirmation that I'm not alone. There have to be a lot of us out there suffering from infertility for Hollywood to take notice.

att76 replied to maragayle's response:
I have not heard of this movie, but may look for it the next time I am at the video store. Even with the spoiler alerts I can't wait to watch it. Thanks for sharing!
Me(36), DH(37), TTC 20 months,3 rounds clomid, 3 IUIs with HCG trigger/clomid all BFNs, now trying naturally

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Barbara and my husband and I have been TTC for 15 months. We have one son who will be three in August, so we know it is possible to get pre...More

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make the ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.