Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
ultrasound??
mrsmousy posted:
Hi,

Is it weird that my dr. isnt having ultrasounds done to check O (not sure of this acronym) for the first 4 rounds of clomid? I'm on my first round now, and am noticing that most of you are having ultrasounds done. I'm overthinking all this, and then my questions seem silly...

Leah25Brooke2 responded:
It's not a silly question. Are you seeing an OB? My first OB didn't check follicles (the eggs maturing in the ovaries) with my first two rounds of clomid. Then, I switched insurance and my new OB did a couple of vaginal ultrasounds. The ultrasounds showed that my lining was thick (sometimes Clomid can thin the lining too much for implantation) and that I was Oing (ovulating). Now, I'm taking clomid again and we're not doing the ultrasounds because everything looked good. But it's important to assess how your body is resonding to the clomid at least the first few times, I would think. Find out if your insurance covers the ultrasound checks, and then if they do - I would just ask if you can be monitored.
Me(26)DH(29)DD(3.5) TTC 2nd- 13 mos, 1st round of clomid 50mg - BFN, 2nd - MC, 3rd- BFN. Been trying naturally 6mos, on 2WW from Sep cycle of 100mg of Clomid days 3-7.

maragayle responded:
I've only had one US (ultrasound) during the last 2 plus years of TTC (trying to conceive). It was more or less to check for any abnormalities and see if my ovaries were cystic, which they weren't. My OBGYN's office and RE both said ultrasounds are not necessary if you're responding to the medication and O is confirmed through BW (blood work). If you're not responding to anything, they can help to figure things out a little bit better. They aren't cheap, though, so some doctors skip them if they don't think they're necessary.

That being said, I've even opted out of BW each month now. I'm on letrozole/femara and have consistently ovulated the past 4 months, so I asked them if it was okay to do unmonitored cycles. It's pretty much all about what you're comfortable with.
Me 23, DH 25, TTC 2 years,8 rounds Clomid, round four 7.5mg Femara this cycle, test 8/27

Leah25Brooke2 responded:
Maragayle is right, they aren't cheap so find out about your inurance, but I like having had a couple - just to know that my lining was thick so that I could continue with the Clomid. The ultrasound is the only way to tell if the Clomid is thining your lining - and then like maragayle said, if you have PCOS - taking a look at your ovaries would be a good idea.
Me(26)DH(29)DD(3.5) TTC 2nd- 13 mos, 1st round of clomid 50mg - BFN, 2nd - MC, 3rd- BFN. Tried naturally 6mos, on 2WW from Sep cycle of 100mg of Clomid days 3-7. Test 10/4

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hey Ladies:) My husband and I will be married for 4 years in October 2011, he is 27 and I am 26. I went off BC in the fall of 2008 thinking we would g...More

Helpful Tips

Helpful Tips
AF-Aunt Flo BFN- Big Fat Negitive BFP- Big Fat Positiove EWCM- Egg White cervicle Mucus CM- Cervial Mucus LMP- Last menstral Period BBT- ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.