Skip to content
This first round of prgsterone, Clomid 50mg and Metformin 500mg bid did not do the trick :(
Mrs_Jolayemi posted:
I was so excited when i got my positive opk this cycle bc i've never had one! We had been bd as the doctor had ordered every other day since cd 12. I got my positive opk on cd 17. We had bd the night b4 the positive opk and did while the opk was positive too. Still nothing. BUT my period never came. I took 2 blood pg tests one on cd 30 and another a week later on cd 37. Both BFN. So obgyn put me back on progesterone 10mg for 10days. When i started the first cycle i didnt start my mentstral till 2 days after i completed the progesterone. Today is supposed to be my 4th day taking and i woke up to Af. I called doc and he said to stop taking the progesterone that this was day one and he upped my Clomid to 100mg. Still taking the 500mg Metformin BID. Seeming hopeless.....
Mrs Jolayemi

maragayle responded:
Do you have PCOS? I'm assuming you do since you're on Metformin. PCOS can cause false positives on OPKs. More likely than not, you didn't ovulate last cycle. That's why your dose has been upped. That's completely normal. It's trial and error with Clomid until you find a dose that works for you. I didn't O until 150mg of Clomid, and even then it was sporadic. I didn't achieve consistent O until I switched to Femara/Letrozole. You're really in the beginning stages of things here, so try not to get discouraged.
Me 23, DH 25, TTC 2 years,BFP 10/4, MC 10/8, waiting to try again

Leah25Brooke2 responded:
I read your story that you have been TTC for three years! Wow! I know it seems hopeless, and believe me, I've been battling that myself - but keep pushing through and hang in there! Now you are getting help and your chances are going to go up!
Me(26)DH(29)DD(3.5) TTC 2nd- 15 mos, 1st round of clomid 50mg - BFN, 2nd - MC, 3rd- BFN. Tried naturally 6mos, 4th round 100mg Clomid - BFN, 5th round Clomid 100mg - on 2ww, test 10/26

Mrs_Jolayemi replied to maragayle's response:
Hey Maragayle. I have never had a doc straight out tell me i had pcos. I have never had tests run i dont think.... I just had the lap to check my tubes and eggs. he said he dont know why i cant get pg. Im the one who did research online and saw about the symptoms of pcos. I herd Metformin can help achieve pregnancy combined w clomid that it works good so i asked the doc about adding it. He said it can belp yes and he gave me the script. I dont have periods on my own just break through bleeding is what i always called my af. When doc asked me about af he explained what i was having was not af at all. So im assuming im inovulatory. I have herd a lot of women say clomid didnt work for them. That they needed Femara. How long did u try clomid before switching?
Mrs Jolayemi

Mrs_Jolayemi replied to Leah25Brooke2's response:
Leah25Brooke2 yeah we have been ttc for some time now. We should have went for help sooner. Thank u so much for ur support. I guess i had unrealistic expectations. Well this is cycle number 2. A new oppertunity! Lol. I start my second clomid round this friday. Will be doing lots of praying!
Mrs Jolayemi

maragayle replied to Mrs_Jolayemi's response:
There's no one real test for PCOS. Testing gets extremely expensive, and doesn't really help anything to do. I was diagnosed based on symptoms...mainly, I gained 20 pounds the first year of my marriage, I have slight discoloration under my arms and around my neck (the skin is a little darker) and no periods/ovulation on my own. PCOS is usually just diagnosed based on symptoms. They also check your thyroid and other hormone levels. My thyroid was fine. IF you have PCOS, I don't think the 500mg is going to help you all that much. My RE increased my dose from the 1000mg the OBGYN had prescribed to 2000mg during my first visit. One thing about Metformin that's helped me is the entire weight management thing. I took off those 20 previously mentioned pounds and am able to maintain a healthy weight without obsessively counting calories and spending every waking minute in the gym. So, I would pursue a diagnosis one way or the other, if I were you. If you have PCOS, get the Metformin upped. Getting used to the dose will SUCK, but is worth it in the end.

I did a total of seven rounds of Clomid with two different doctors. I didn't respond well to it, as many PCOS patients don't. My RE switched me to Femara. I didn't O the first month, but O'd consistently the next four months. I got my BFP at the beginning of October. Sadly, I had a miscarriage shortly after. Femara worked MUCH better for me. We're hoping to use Femara and Metformin to get a BFP again.

Hi Maragayle, im so sorry for ur loss. i can only emagin how hard it must have been for u. I am currently on cd 15 of my increased 100mg clomid round cds 5-9. Bd as advised and ill begin taking opks today. I waited bc even though i didnt o on 50mg or atleast not a strong enough o to bring af i didnt get my positive opk till cd 17. Ive been tracking my blood sugars and when i first started metformin i saw the difference. That difference has gone down a lot since my body adjusted to the med. I will ask my obgyn about upping my dose when i go in this month. If im not pg after 6 rounds on clomid i will ask about switching to Femara. Ive herd many women say it helped when clomid didnt. Thank u so much for the advice.
Mrs Jolayemi

chaos612 responded:
have beenTTC for 2 years now so do not feel hopeless I have had 2 misacarriages since i begin my journey like 2 months ago my doc said I have pcos so i could have been gettong false positives from the opk so now i do folicle exams with the opk and this cycle i really did O so i did IUI on friday so now i just have to get thru the 2ww. Keep hope alive because it is going to be when u r ready to give up that God is going to send you your blessing.

Mrs_Jolayemi replied to chaos612's response:
So glad i took my opk today! Got my smiley face! We bd last night and today after smiley. Fingers crossed.
Mrs Jolayemi

ntgps replied to Mrs_Jolayemi's response:
All the best to everyone ttc.

chaos612 replied to Mrs_Jolayemi's response:
good luck to you

maragayle replied to Mrs_Jolayemi's response:
Best of luck!

Thanks so much everyone! I had 2 days of positive opks! I've herd this is normal. My first smiley was Monday around 1pm. Tuesday i still had a smiley around 1pm. But today i just had a circle again. So does that mean i've o'd already or will O within 12-48 hours?
Mrs Jolayemi

chaos612 replied to Mrs_Jolayemi's response:
Yea that is normal to detect two days in a row that is why you are suppose to go by the 1st day of detection. Unfortunately I would have to say you O'd and missed it. You should be BDing or doing an IUI within 24-48 hours when you get that 1st smiley face.

Mrs_Jolayemi replied to chaos612's response:
Oh no we didnt miss it. We bd the day before the first positive, every day of positives and the day of the first negative. We made sure we covered it.
Mrs Jolayemi

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi my hubby and i have been ttc for 1 year now. I have pcos and didnt realize i had that for a year and was having rare occasions of AF. I took prover...More

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.