Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Question on Metformin
ntgps posted:
Hello,

I have been prescribed with 500mg of metformin twice a day.My question is should it be taken before food(how many mins before) or after food.Also i heard some people taking at first bite of food.Which way is effective?

roxypam responded:
I was prescribed Met too, and the doctor said it should be taken with food, not before, not after, but while you eating.
Me(30)DH(38)TTC 18 mths.2rounds 50mg clomid.Ovulated but BFN.Sent to RE, 1st round of Femara 5mg (3-7) Ovidrel,IUI 10/10-Failed.

ntgps replied to roxypam's response:
Does that mean Met should be taken after few bites of food?

roxypam replied to ntgps's response:
Yes that's what i do. I kinda take it in the middle of my meal.
Me(30)DH(38)TTC 18 mths.2rounds 50mg clomid.Ovulated but BFN.Sent to RE, 1st round of Femara 5mg (3-7) Ovidrel,IUI 10/10-Failed.

Mrs_Jolayemi responded:
I don't think it matters really so long as u do eat something within 15 min of taking it. I too take 500mg of Met bid.
Mrs Jolayemi

maragayle responded:
As long as you eat around the time you take it, the "when" part doesn't matter too much. I usually eat within an hour of a dose.
Me 23, DH 25, TTC 2 years,BFP 10/4, MC 10/8, waiting to try again

ntgps responded:
Thankyou everyone for the reply.
when i take it with light food i am feeling nausea so want to take it with heavy meal.
Also i just want to know apart with nausea does it reduce blood sugar too ?

maragayle replied to ntgps's response:
I'm not sure what the effect on blood sugar is. That would definitely be a question for the doctor.
Me 23, DH 25, TTC 2 years,BFP 10/4, MC 10/8, waiting to try again

ntgps replied to maragayle's response:
yes should ask the doc...
I got this doubt only after started taking the met because some times i feel like skipping breakfast or dinner.. so just thought in that case can i take Met.
Right now i took break from taking ovulation medicines and planning to schedule an appointment with dr next year.. will ask this Q then.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I never had regular cycles except while on birth control. My DH (31) and I married in 2004 and starting ttc beginning of '07. I waited a till July...More

Helpful Tips

Helpful Tips
AF-Aunt Flo BFN- Big Fat Negitive BFP- Big Fat Positiove EWCM- Egg White cervicle Mucus CM- Cervial Mucus LMP- Last menstral Period BBT- ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 28 found this helpful