Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Questons on IVF
ntgps posted:
Hello

I am done with my 4th iui with no success.Now i think next step is IVF.I have a few questions about IVF.I see some people went through IVF here so i thought of asking my doubts here ....

1.DO drs do laproscopy before doing IVF?some pople told they have undergone laproscopy before IVF and it helps...
2.I heard drs use BCP to regulate your period(if it is irregular)before starting IVF has anyone did that.
3.when does IVF procedure start from 1st day of period?or before 1week of expected period
4.Finally what may be approx cost for IVF procedure.

Hope some one here answers my doubts

Thanks in advance.

mrs62610 responded:
1. It depends on your dr whether you have a lap done. My insurance covered a huge portion of IVF and we had already done 3 IUI's so my dr said that we would do 1 round of IVF, if it didn't work then we would do a lap then another round of IVF. You should have a consult appointment before you start an IVF cycle. I would write down any questions you have and take to that appt.
2. BCP's are very commonly used in IVF cycles. I was on them for about 6 weeks before starting my stim meds.
3. They will probably have you call when you get your period, then they will set up your first appointment and have you start 1 medication (Mine was Lupron) Then you will wait and start another med or 2 so many days later to get the eggs maturing. I did 13 days of stims and triggered on that last day, then had the retrieval 36 hours later.
4. The cost will widely vary depending on your insurance and where you live. My husband and I were extremely fortunate to have (as the nurse called it) "the Cadillac plan" for insurance, so we only had to pay $350 for the retrieval and transfer and we paid around $200 for my meds for that cycle. Some people end up having to pay thousands if they don't have coverage. I would call your dr's office and ask to speak with someone about what your insurance might cover for the procedure. They can tell you accurately what you will have to pay.

Hope that helps!
Me-25 DH-38 TTC 1st for 21 months. 3 rounds of Clomid-BFN's. 5 rounds of Femara, 3 IUI's-BFN's. Moved to IVF. Egg Retrieval on 1/25, 1 Embryo Transferred on 1/28! 1st Beta 2/11/13 193! EDD 10/18/13

ntgps replied to mrs62610's response:
Hello Mrs 62610,

First of all I Wish you all the best with your expected new arrival., Is there any insurance plan that covers infertility treatments ?.....I tried to contact my insurance long time back when i first met my RE my and they could not help me....I live in Connecticut and have united plan....I am not sure whether it covers for IVF because it did not cover for IUI..did your insurance covered IUI too?is Cadillac a insurance plan or they just refer a coverage with that name.....

I have appointment with dr Next week and just worrying about all these things because i see no other option except IVF after failed iuis ....thought to gather some information from you people so that I get some idea before I meet the dr.

Thanks

Curbow replied to ntgps's response:
I didn't really want to do the IVF unless it was our last option. I had surgery after our second child to then find out I had severe scar tissue, and endometriosis on both ovaries. After he cleaned everything out in August 28th, I got pregnant and took a test Nov 12th and it was actually positive. We had tried for 18 months prior to this. Our first was conceived after 10 months and then I took one round of clomid and got pregnant, had a C-section with him and probably got more scar tissue from that. I hurt really bad during my periods, intercourse and stuff so I figured I had some issues and so we did the laparoscopy and sure enough I was covered in scar tissue. My uterus, bladder and abdomen were all stuck together. I hope this will help you decide what to do, I would think the laparoscopy would be the best thing so they can see what all is going on inside, It was an easy procedure and I was down a while but only because of my severe case and removal of my appendix(normally he said you are back to work the next week). Good luck on whatever you decide I just thought maybe from an insurance stand point, the Lap would be covered if you went in with some issues like Pain, excessive bleeding, ect. whereas the IVF is usually no covered by most insurance companies but still contact them and see. Good luck whatever you decide.

Curbow replied to Curbow's response:
I am sorry I had surgery after our 1st child was born. We have 2 boys. First child I did one round of clomid got pregnant. 2nd child we did 2 clomid cycles, 3 IUI's and then moved to surgery.

att76 responded:
Mrs. answered the questions very well!!! I have just finished my IVF cycle (did the transfer yesterday 6/6). We do not have the best insurance so none of our infertility procedures have been covered! We do have a good RX insurance so most is covered, but we ended up paying about 2000 for meds and about 10,200 for the IVF. While that sounds expensive (I know it is) it really doesn't compare to the 2 surgeries, 7 IUIs and the countless meds I have been on to get pregnant. Here's to this cycle working!!

good luck!
Me(37), DH(38), TTC 2 years,hopefully starting IVF in April

ntgps replied to att76's response:
Curbow you are lucky enough to know the reason and now have 2 wonderful kids...so blessed.

What is the procedure they did to know about scar tissue and endometriosis?. Before going for my first IUI they did only HSG and they told everything is fine and with my first iui i became pregnant but miscarried in 4th month so again before my 2nd iui again i again went for HSG and they told everything is fine but last 3 iuis were failure.The only difference i observed with 1st and remaining 3 iuis is my uterus thickness... with first it is 8 and for other three 6.5 i am not sure whether it made any difference.

Att76 All the Best .I wish lots of baby dust your way.After my 3rd iui i was not ready to go for IVF because of the costfactor and went for 4th iui even now i am not sure whether i will go for IVF .I will decide once i speak with the RE ....i can afford only for 1 IVF....so i kept it as last option.

att76 replied to ntgps's response:
Thanks! This pretty much was the last resort! I am 37 and nothing else had worked so far. Here's to hoping for the best!
Me(37), DH(38), TTC 2 years,hopefully starting IVF in April

mrs62610 replied to ntgps's response:
I am in Illinois so I'm not familiar with insurance coverage in your area. The company I am insured with is called Health Alliance. I don't know if they supply insurance in other states or not. Sorry, I should have clarified, the "Cadillac" plan was just a joke from the nurse about how good our coverage is, meaning you can't really get much better than our plan. (We do pay out the nose for it though) I am confident that your dr's. office should have someone you can talk to about the financial side of things and they may be able to contact your insurance and see what is covered as they know all the specific terminology that insurance companies use. That might be easier, rather than calling the company yourself. (I hated talking to my insurance, they are so technical!) At your next appointment ask them if they can set up a time for you to talk to someone about what is and isn't covered. They shouldn't give you a hard time about it as the procedure is very expensive, they surely don't expect you to go into it blind (so to speak).
Me-25 DH-38 TTC 1st for 21 months. 3 rounds of Clomid-BFN's. 5 rounds of Femara, 3 IUI's-BFN's. Moved to IVF. Egg Retrieval on 1/25, 1 Embryo Transferred on 1/28! 1st Beta 2/11/13 193! EDD 10/18/13

Spotlight: Member Stories

Me (34) & DH (32) have been TTC for 18 months. I have been diagnosed with unexplained infertility. In May 2010 I started taking Clomid without any...More

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make the ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.