Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Only one round of clomid 50mg
gianna247 posted:
I've just completed my first round of clomid (50 mg) I called to inform my doctor that I had completed days 5-9 and what happens next, blood work when next menstrual cycle comes around to see if would ovulate? She said no come back in a year, "everything is fine". How does she know that "everything is fine" WITHOUT doing blood work & follow up appointments? The whole purpose of me starting clomid is due to the fact that I found not ovulate therefore not able to conceive I feel like my doctor/Gyn gives me the run around. I'm currently looking for a new Doctor that will help me and answer my questions honestly. What usually happens AFTER first round of clomid, ladies what has been your experience?

butterflys97 responded:
Hi, I am kinda of in the same boat. Most ob/gyn's usually don't follow up with ultrasounds and bloodwork to check ovualtion ect. That is usually what an RE does. However most people can not afford to go to them, usually it's an out of pocket cost most insurances do not cover infertility...there are a few but for the most part most don't. I was on Clomid days 5-9 as well, but decided to stop it for a little while, becaise I get horrible side effects from it. For starters you should get a opk (ovulation predictor kit, basically to check if you are ovulating, kind of similar to a home pregnancy kit. Most women ovulate 14 days from the first day of their menstrual cycle, but all bodies are created differently, so you may want to start earlier maybe 10 or 11 and so on. As for me I have painful ovualation so I know when I am ovulating....that gives me a sign to start testing. Also check your cm, it should be like a clear slippery discharge (odorless) kinda like the clear part of an egg. With that being said, you can do what I did I called an RE office, to ask what is the workup for fertility the girl was nice enough to tell me...you can also check online it's extensive work up. The bloodwork has many test that include FSH, Prolactin, Luteinizing, Estradiol, Serum, progesterone levels ect..they are more do your research usually done on day 3-5 of your menstrual cycle. Once you have a list you can go to your ob/gyn's office to see if he/she will write you prescripton..you can't start there. Start monitoring your ovulation, there is an ovualation calendar right here on WebMd, on the internet there are tons, that calculate your ovulation days, as well as phone apps. And have intercourse on your most fertile days and try to get that work-up hope this helps. Good luck and God bless. I have to start myself but I have other issues....but keep me posted and keep in touch

gianna247 replied to butterflys97's response:
Thanks for responding! Yes I have to figure out what to do next. I do know that I do not ovulate that's why my gyn put me on clomid in the first place (to help me start ovulating) but I don't understand why she's not interested in doing follow up blood work to see if I ovulate (I'll just test on my own) but before I started taking clomid I was not ovulating. I wish my Gyn would followup because how will I know if clomid worked without blood work. I really want to become a mother and experience motherhood, I want to experience being pregnant, etc. I'm 40 years old and time is running out! (my biological clock).

butterflys97 replied to gianna247's response:
You are welcome. How do you know you weren't ovulating? Was this proven with bloodwork? Have you ever been pregnant? Yes start testing like I had mentioned around day 11 and so on to make sure. If not demand a follow-up or start looking for another doctor. Depending on your insurance try finding an RE...sometimes they cover infertility office visits. I hear you I understand.. I am 35 yrs old, I also feel my biological clock ticking. I want to be a mother again. I don't know why this has to be so difficult. Wish you luck keep me posted hun.

I just turned 40, married but no children. My gyn put me on clomid because I wasn't ovulating(blood work) but AFTER finishing round one (50mg) she did not do blood work again to see if the clomid worked (to see if I've started ovulating). If not shouldn't I be on a another round and a higher dosage? I've done research, most women get a little higher dosage (round 2)of clomid if still not ovulating after taking the 50 mg. My gyn seems unconcerned! I'm 40 years old, time is not on my side with regards to trying to conceive. I really want to become a mother. I've found a new Gyn, I have appt July 22 hopefully then I'll get some help.

When you finished the round of Clomid did, you start testing with the ovulation kits? Have you noticed a changed in your discharge? Usually its a sort of slimy egg white sticky discharge, (TMI) around ovulation. That's good you found a new gyn, hopefully you can get the answers you need. I know your concern, I am also now 35 so time is running out for me too..Let me know how it works out...I still think you should take your second round of Clomid and check ovulation. That way you have as much information for the new the doctor as possible you can tell her, my other doctor did not do any bloodwork after clomid, however I started to test on cycle days such and such..and these are my findings, also bring what ever blookwork or medical information you have such as U/S ect from your other doctor. That's just what I would do. Keep me posted.....I may start up Clomid again let's see, what happens

I've gone to my new Gyn he was very helpful and I left feeling hopeful! He started me on progesterone to help with my menstrual cycle also will be doing about 4- 5 rounds of cloud for 5 months. First starting with 50 mg and after check ups /blood work he will up the mg (if it shows that I am not ovulating) I'm PRAYING that at some point these rounds of clomid do work for me and I am able to get pregnant! I have a follow up appointment in 22 days to see how things are coming along.
Have you heard of a supplement called NaturaCure? It's a natural fertility enhancer. It's herbs to promote hormonal imbalance, improve reproductive health and increases chances of conceiving. I found it online, good reviews from some who have taken it. I have a 90 supply (it was rather expensive) but I'll try almost anything to conceive! For now, I will stop taking these supplements until I finish everything with my doctor just to see how everything goes and if my body gets on the right track and I ovulate & conceive while taking clomid. (I apologize for the lengthy message). How are things going along with you?

Glad your new Ob/Gyn was more helpful, and has you feeling more hoepful. That's a good feeling to know, he's concerned about your concerns and is willing to assist you. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. As for me, started the clomid back up this month days 5-9 however I was short a pill, dropped it could not find it..so I did it days 5-8..Oh well. I will see what happens. Hopefully we will both get some hpt's soon...Yayyyyy!!!!! I have to track my ovulation now.
As for the NaturaCure, I have heard ladies mentioning it on here. I did not here about the success on here. But I read some reviews on Amazon that were positive. I know it can get expensive. I don't know if I am ready to try it now. Hope to hear from you soon

I'll be in touch!...take care for now!

Hi, I am just checking up on you. any new news? Hope all is well

Hi...I've finished 2nd round of clomid Aug 12-16, I have appointment on the 29th to see if I'm ovulating. (Fingers crossed AND praying that I am & clomid is working, I'm hoping). After that I have 2 more rounds of clomid left. With only 2 rounds left of taking clomid I hope that I am ovulating normally and become pregnant because if not I don't know what other options I have. Also he wants to do the HSG test to make sure my fallopian tubes aren't blocked if both are blocked there's no point in going any further and trying to get pregnant because if blocked there's no possible way of getting pregnant. So I'm very anxious/ nervous about that!....hope all is well with you! Hope you're having some good news!

Hi well that sounds very promising...things are finally movin along. How is he gonna check for your ovulation thru U/S or bloodwork? Did you test as well with the opks. I had an HSG done 3 years ago, to check my tubes because I had done the tubal reversal. One of my tubes were slow moving(right) but the dyed flowed, the other one the dye went thru with no problems. However I knew my right tube was not too good because the RE that did my reversal surgery said that one was a bit short and stubby. To make a long story short I did end up having an etopic on my right tube, it was removed. My left tube THANK GOD ALMIGHTY has been working ( I have gotten pregnant with it but sadly have miscarried) but it's working. I did however wanted to add that in the event that they were blocked they can be unblocked with a procedure depending on the reason for blockage. I am sure that is not your case hun. Take it day by day. You are doing great, we can't sleep on this. We are both doing what we can. As for me my 2ww just ended I have a doctors appointment today. I am so anxious and nervous as well. I know I can get pregnant the possibility is there...but sadly my issue is staying pregnant. I have had 6 miscarriages in the last 3 years I am praying for a miracle. May God bless us both...Will keep you updated.

Yes he will check my ovulation by doing blood work. I did not know that tube can be unblocked. WOW!!! That sounds like good news! (If that is the case) but I hope not! Is it true that the HSG test can unblock tubes? Some have commented that once the dye flows through the body (uterus, tubes, etc) later on they've found out that their tunes were unblocked.
Hopefully with your doctor's appointment you'll receive some great news!

Well that's great. Yes sometimes depending on the reason for blockage tubes can be unblocked ( good to know, hopefully not your case). When I did my HSG the nurse said I may even end up pregnant after an HSG, some women become more fertile so to speak. But if you have an acutal blockage that needs to be corrected with surgery, I don't believe the dye can unblock it. Well I am pregnant but not good news, my numbers are not doubling and they are really low, some jerk hit me from behing and kept going (hit and run) I have been cramping ever since. The doctor called me this morning most likely I am going to miscarry. I am soooo sick of this. I try my best to stay optimistic, but it's so hard and sometimes unfair. You see all these unfit people just popping out babies, I know I should be greatful and not complain but it's hard at times.....I am so sorry I am venting with you. I went both to the regular OB/GYN and RE. The OB/GYN tried his best. I was on extra folic acid, Lovenox, baby aspiring, nothing helped.The RE on the other hand said I should of been on treatment prior to evn trying, I should of been on additional meds besides those even before conception (I just dont have the money to see him all the time ) Maybe I will focus on that. Once I get thru this hurtle I will make the appointment with the RE and do things right...I hope you have better news hun...keep me posted.

So sorry to hear about the hit & run! I'm praying that you have a healthy pregnancy and you go to term. Yes, it's VERY frustrating to see others or unfit mothers popping out babies and there's women that truly WANT to become mothers but are having a difficult time getting pregnant, it just makes me so sad! Like I said before, I have only 2 more rounds of clomid to go and if I don't get pregnant or show any positive signs after my doctor's appointment I'm not going to try anymore. Going through this is just too sad and heartbreaking for me!
My husband doesn't like to see me like this and he says too many doctors visits of which we cannot afford, our insurance hardly covers anything. Anyway, I hope and PRAY that you have a full to term pregnancy and I wish you well! Take care!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 24 yrs old and my DH is 26 and we have been TTC for over a year now. When I first stopped the pill, my m/c was very irregular and eventually sto...More

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.