My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

i'm a little coconut.
sitting in a coco patch.
somebody came and stepped on me.
i am squished as you can see.
i'm a nut.
i'm a nut.
i'm a nut. i'm a nut. i'm a nut nut nut.
Attempt 2 - The History of the Middle Finger
melly2210 posted:
FirstPrevious12NextLast

fuzzer29 responded:
I don't see anything! Sorry!

purpledolphingirl4 responded:
melly, I think its not letting u post cuz its a profanity. beej

slik_kitty replied to purpledolphingirl4's response:
oh this is insane!!! this is our board. grrrrrrrrrrr

imbabydoll replied to slik_kitty's response:
maybe in mod land they don't have middle fingers and are just mad at us for being so lucky I would be glad to show them mine anytime if they want to see one lol

bipolargal responded:
My middle finger has a lot of history.

snowyowl33 replied to imbabydoll's response:
hhahahahahahahahaha... too funny Babydoll, and yes, I agree Kitty..... sigh

snowyowl33 replied to bipolargal's response:
come to think of it BPG so does mine... both of them actually!! hahaha

fuzzer29 replied to snowyowl33's response:
And here I thought mine were special!! Mine have a nice history too!

imbabydoll replied to snowyowl33's response:
Thank you my dear I was rather proud of that one myself
Sometimes I even suprise myself but this time it just seemd the thing to do!!! Maybe everyone should show them there middle finger might be libartating.
Big hug darlin

bpcookie replied to imbabydoll's response:
ROFLMAO too friggin funny Babydoll. Show them your middle finger.

bpcookie replied to slik_kitty's response:
Oh Slik honey, Havent you learned yet? We may have OUR boards, but they arent really OUR boards. Ive already written many many posts about this exact same thing on my board before. If we write something that displeases them, they delete it, if we write something that displeases a certain someone, they delete it.

Also, I was thinking, I wish we could find a smiley that has her middle finger up.

imbabydoll responded:
Well sweetie
I would have loved to read that
You can also be expecting a letter from the board never fear we are behind you
PS don't think we have spoken before but I already know Im gonna like you
Hug

melly2210 responded:
I never knew this before, and now that I know it, I feel compelled to send it on to my more intelligent friends in the hope that they, too, will feel edified. Isn't history more fun when you know something about it?

Before the Battle of Agincourt in 1415, the French, anticipating victory over the English, proposed to cut off the middle finger of all captured English soldiers. Without the middle finger it would be impossible to draw the renowned English longbow and therefore they would be incapable of fighting in the future. This famous English longbow was made of the native English Yew tree, and the act of drawing the longbow was known as 'plucking the yew' (or 'pluck yew').

Much to the bewilderment of the French, the English won a major upset and began mocking the French by waving their middle fingers at the defeated French, saying, See, we can still pluck yew!

Since 'pluck yew' is rather difficult to say, the difficult consonant cluster at the beginning has gradually changed to a labiodentals fricative F', and thus the words often used in conjunction with the one-finger-salute!

It is also because of the pheasant feathers on the arrows used with the longbow that the symbolic gesture is known as 'giving the bird.'

IT IS STILL AN APPROPRIATE SALUTE TO THE FRENCH TODAY!

And yew thought yew knew every plucking thing!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hey, I am audra. I am 22, married for almost three years and have a son who will be 3 in march :). I was recently diagnossed with having manic depress...More

Helpful Tips

real useable smilies part 4
http://www.myemoticons.com/emoticons/images/msn/girlie/teddy.gif gotta have a cute stuffie! ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 33 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.