Skip to content
doomed to have plugged up ears?
ellenal posted:
It seems that I have blocked eustachian tubes. First happened to my left ear after catching a cold during a vacation to Mexico in the mid 1980's- got better from the cold but my left ear always felt full. Constantly trying to pop it but nothing worked. This last year I have been constantly sick - one cold/flu after another (I have a 2 year old in daycare). Ended up having sinus surgery, recovered from that then more flu/colds got pneumonia and now finally bronchitis and an ear infection in my right ear. As I write this my left ear is significantly worse than before and now my right ear is blocked like my left ear used to be.

I have tried ALL the recommendations: yawning, holding nose and blowing to force air to open the tubes, sinus rinses (like netti pot) saline nose sprays, flonase, sudafed (prescription strength too), gum, antibiotics, decongestants, etc you name it all for weeks and months. It is driving me crazy!!! I can't hear and I just want to jam something down my ears to open them up! (Don't worry I won't)

I have been searching for something to fix my ears. The ENT's I've gone to just keep prescribing the same routine that doesn't work.

In my searching I found two products: Eardoc and Ear Popper. Does anyone know if either of these work? eardoc seems to only be available in Europe and Ear Popper sounds like a sort of mechanical "hold your nose, close your mouth and blow" contraption. Plus Ear Popper is only available by prescription.

Thanks in advance! Lanelle

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
I have been trying to get the EarPopper people to send me one so I can test it, but when I tried it at a conference, it can help recurrent ETD - eustachian tube dysfunction. Whether this device will be your "cure", I can't say. Too bad, you can't just try it.... I never heard of Eardoc.

ETD can be a real problem, both to the patient AND the ENT trying to treat it. Sometimes, even pressure equalization tubes (PETs) are needed for adults. Has anyone suggested them?

ellenal responded:
Hi Doc,

Thanks for the reply. No one has suggested PETs, is that the same thing as when you hear children getting "tubes" for ear problems?

Here is a link to the Eardoc website: www.eardoc.info/

This is from their FAQ page: Testing the EARDOC with a Tympanometer, which measure the fluids in the middle ear, shows reduce of Otitis media in users.

EARDOC ? generates and transmits special vibration waves due to its non-invasive extraordinary design . The waves travel through the bone and the ear base to the middle ear and the Eustachian tube. The waves ease the pressure and drain the trapped fluids

It almost sounds too good to be true and seems to only be available in Europe.

Any suggestions on speaking with my ENT to expedite other solutions than the "usual" routine of steroids, sudafed & rinses?

Thanks again, Lanelle

Eardoc sounds a little "quacky" to me, but I would have to get a bit more information (later today when I have more time)

PETs are the same as "tubes".

Medical solutions for ETD are limited and yes, none are miracle cures. A short course of oral steroids may be something to discuss with your doctor. This has been known to help in some cases.

ellenal responded:
Hi Doc,

I'm actually on my second round of oral steroids and the Rx version of sudafed and sinus rinses and flonase. The first round didn't help and so far this second tour isn't doing anything either I'm sad to say.

Sounds like tubes may be a possible solution, it sounds like it is more commonly done in children - is there a reason it isn't done as much in adults?

Thanks again. Lanelle

Yes...a very logical reason. Adult rarely need them, because their immune systems are better, their eustachian tubes are bigger, and they do not get as many ear infections.

Unfortunately as humans, when it comes to the ears...and eustachian tubes, we are not created equal. Tubes may be needed in adults.

meinct responded:
Hi Lanelle, I also have had problems with plugged ears and tried everything including allergy shots. They did not bother me for the last two years but now they are driving me nuts. I just ordered the Eardoc and am praying it works. Did you ever try this or the Ear Popper?

Thanks

yorkere responded:
Lanelle:

I've been trying both the Earpopper and the Eardoc; so far (A few days, now) they haven't helped. The Earpopper actually seems to make the condition worse. The Eardoc has had no noticeable effect yet.

The Earpopper is by prescription; it cost me $235; the Eardoc was $55. I'll try 'em for awhile longer, maybe I'll see some relief fo myself...

chrlnsmith responded:
I know your email was written last summer, but I just ran across it today. I could have written it! I am a 58 yr. old woman and I can't tell you how many dr.'s I've been to over my adult lifetime. I've been treated for everything from allergies/TMJ/infections. The bottom line is NOTHING HAS WORKED! Last week I went to my dr. because my ears were so filled with fluid. He gave me 3 prescriptions..all of which I have had in the past at one time or another. I've had tubes put in my ears several times over the past 5 or 6 years. (very painful) The last time, the doctor punctured my ear drum and he patched it, but now loud noises cause it to rattle like a broken speaker! You would laugh if I told you all the "home remedies" I have tried..none of which worked, of course. This seems to be something I HAVE to live with and I don't like it! I am willing to try anything. Airplane rides are ok if I use a nasal spray before descending, otherwise my eardrums feel as though they will literally rupture.

Just wanted you to know you are not alone. If YOU have any new ideas, I would certainly appreciate hearing from you. Thank you....Retta

wiserlady replied to chrlnsmith's response:
I know you posted quite a while ago but your post is very similar to my own experiences with nose/head/ears etc. Please get back to me if you are still wanting to discuss this problem.

Helpful Tips

Sharp pain in left ear lob cartiliage
After the last 24 hours of excruciating pain and having tried Tylenol Regular and Sinus and heating pads, this morning I took Aleve as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.