Skip to content
Abnormal Adenoids?
TheHope posted:
Dear Dr. Moser,

This is a bit of a long story, but I will try to give you the condensed version. About 6 years ago, I saw an allergist for an unrelated matter, and during a rhinoscopy, she told me she found "abnormal, hard tissue" on my adenoid and referred me to an ENT. The ENT did a rhinoscopy and said he saw nothing and I was perfectly fine. A couple of years later, after experiencing months of horrible headaches, nausea, and vomiting, and a feeling of pressure in the back of my throat, my pain management doctor ordered a brain and neck MRI. The MRI revealed a 2.5 cm mass in my upper pharynx. My doctor referred me to the same ENT. He once again did a rhinoscopy and told me he saw nothing abnormal. He looked at the MRI films and said that the "mass" the radiologist saw was simply my adenoids, which were enlarged but otherwise healthy and did not need to be removed and were not responsible for any of my headaches or other symptoms. My pain doctor accepted the ENT's report. My symptoms continued. I now have all new doctors and live in another state. About a year ago I began experiencing occasional severe but temporary searing, burning pain in the area of my adenoids that comes out of nowhere, lasts a few minutes and then goes away. I did get another brain and neck MRI which did not show a mass this time, but I still have terrible migraines with eye pain and pressure behind my eyes and across the bridge of my nose, which are more frequent and severe and last longer and are not responding to treatment.

My question is.... do you think there is any possibility that these symptoms could be related after all and should I get a second opinion from another ENT?

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
If you truly have migraines - vascular headaches, then they are not likely related to your adenoids, which apparently are not visible on the MRI now.

What did the MRIs reveal about your sinuses?

Helpful Tips

Earaches
I had pressure behind the eye and earache, even after using neti pot, suction machine and fluticasone. I found those worked great for ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.