Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
White chunks coming up
AmandaS81 posted:
I will wake up in the morning, most often, or it can even happen in the middle of a sentence. But I'll feel something in my throat, and when I kind of cough it up, and spit it out, it's a small little whitish chunk. It smells similar to tooth plaque. I have heard about tonsil rocks. But this is not hard, and it shrinks to nothing after it dries out on a tissue. I do not have much of a sore throat when this happens, however I often have allergy problems, and ear aches. But I've not noticed the connection. This comes and goes at will. It this also a case of tonsil rocks? When I was young, I had a bad habit of swallowing chewing gum. Is it true that doesn't digest? Could it be that? Far fetched, I know But just wondering...

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
No...it is not your undigested chewing gum. It does digest, incidentally.

Yes, these are most like tonsilliths. They do not have to be hard as rocks; some are as you describe. These are formed by an accumulation of food and other debris lodged in those little holes/crypts in your tonsils. The only thing you can do to prevent these things from forming is to gargle after each meal.

Featuring Experts

Welcome to WebMD's Ear, Nose, and Throat Community — a site where members help each other. If you have an experience to share or would like ...More

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.