Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Blood Clot In Throat
hhamrick80 posted:
I am not sure if any of these situations or symptoms are related but I am slightly concerned. The last week or so I have been very nauseated and just felt awful, which has been accompanied by a dry throat. It also feels as if I have a lump in my throat I can not get out. (There is no obvious thing wrong I can see by looking in and down my throat) Yesterday afternoon I coughed a single time and produced a hardened blood clot the size of a piece of corn. Today another smaller one also came out.

I am a 20 year old college athlete in great physical condition and overall health. I recently went through a battery of tests at the end of the year for my physical and passed them with flying colors. I just can't seem to put my finger on what it is if anything. I don't have allergies or sinus problems. It is interesting to note I had my tonsils/adenoids removed in December, but i do not know if that has anything to do with it. Any opinion/advice is appreciated.

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
Your doctor will need to determine the overall significance of those two episodes of blood. In most cases, there is an innocent reason -- this blood can be coming from anywhere in the highly-vascular, and easily-inflammed areas of the your nose, pharynx, sinuses, or respiratory tract. I don't know anything about you, your medical history, or have any way of examining you to know the true nature of these events. It is always good to have these things checked out professionally, rather than rely on your own self-exams or even Internet advice, even if you recently went through a battery of tests (whatever they were). Things can change...and you have only been sick for a week. Tests that you had in the past may not be relevant to what is happening now.

Helpful Tips

FAQ Tip #2: Tonsilliths and Cryptic TonsilsExpert
People are often puzzled by white accumulations in their tonsils. Some feel they have Strep, yet they do not really have a red, sore ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.