Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Bad sore throat
haloracer posted:
Hello,

I have had a very bad sore throat for the last two weeks or so. To rule out a few things, I did go to the doctor to get some tests done; strep and mono were negative. The pain is really bad, pretty much only when trying to swallow or drink something. When I get the bad pain from swallowing, I also notice a slight pain in my left ear. The only thing that feels good going down is hot tea.

I have no other symptoms, other than the throat pain. No fever, cough, sleepiness, headaches... nothing. I haven't noticed any difference in the appearance of the back of my throat, maybe a little red, but nothing looking like strep throat. I actually feel very good other than the throat issue. Basically, it isn't getting worse, but it isn't getting much better.

I'd appreciate any input, thank you!

Edward

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
Edward, there are many more things out there that can cause a sore throat, other than strep or mono. It is time for your doctor to do some additional tests, or refer you to a good ENT for a more thorough evaluation. Two weeks is a bit long to have these symptoms.

Unfortunately, since I do not know anything about you, your medical history, or have any way of examining you, it would not be possible for me to sort out the various causes via the Internet.

A few questions: Have you ever smoked? Do you have allergies? Are you having any post-nasal drainage? And finally, did you doctor do a throat CULTURE or just a strep test?

haloracer responded:
I'm 18 (male), in otherwise excellent health. Never smoked, no known allergies, no nasal drainage. I am not on any medications.

The strep test he did was just a quick one, they didn't do a culture test. I'll see about trying to get that soon.

pep85 responded:
Hi. I just had the same kind of symtoms a week and a half ago. I felt good overall but it was just the sore throat....I live in the chicago land area and the winter gets pretty cold and rooms tend to lack humidity in the air so I figured I put a humidifier in my room as a slept or a vaporizer and my sore throat slowly but surely has dwindled away. It worked for me. Hope it gets better.

HPIE responded:
I had something like this once and it was awful. It was diagnosed as pharyngitis. It was very painful to swallow even my own saliva. I can't remember what they used to cure it but i had to take narcotic pain medicine to swallow until it went away. It was probably some antibiotic. check it out! Janine

cheesewagonchick responded:
I am dealing with the same thing right now except I have had some sort of sinus infection. That seems to be better now, but this sore throat is killing me! I was tested for strep at an urgent care clinic which came back negative so I went to an ENT and he said I could possibly have a yeast infection in my esophogus. I had been on a weeks worth of Augmentin just before this started. He put me on a different antibiotic (Biaxin) and Diflucan (for yeast). I'm not any better and it's been 3 days now. I called his office earlier and he called in another antibiotic and something for cough(which I also have). At this point I'm just really annoyed, I don't think taking antibiotic is the answer if I do indeed have a yeast infection as that (antibiotic) is what cause the infection in the first place! Maybe I too should have a culture done. Good luck to you.....

Helpful Tips

Most People with a penicillin allergy can safely take cephalosporinsExpert
Medical providers have always been taught that if you are allergic to penicillin, you have a greater chance of also being allergic to a ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 61 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.