Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Ear pain after doctor cleaned it
someoneone posted:
Hey everyone, I'm new here, so I don't know if I'm doing this right. I'm sorry if this has been posted before; I used the search feature and didn't see anything.

Anyway, I have an impacted earwax problem. My ear canals are pointed up, so they don't drain and apparently I have really small ear canals. What I have to do is go into the doctor's office to get them cleaned out every three months. I recently started seeing a new GP; I had been seeing a pediatrician who used to clean them out. I would get some vertigo while my pediatrician cleaned them, but other than that, no real severe pain. Well, at my new doctor's office, they flushed them and used that long handle tool thing like they always have, but this time, I almost passed out. While they were cleaning them, I started to get nauseous, and my legs felt numb, and I started sweating . When I was standing in the waiting room, I started getting spots in front of my eyes, which is an indicator that I'm going down. That's the first time I felt like fainting during this procedure. Now a day later, I have a stabbing pain in both ears, but it is an intermittent pain, not constant. However, it is pretty severe for the time it lasts. They didn't put antibiotics in. I'm not asking for a diagnosis because I know you can't give them, and frankly, I don't need one. I was just wondering, is this normal? Should I call my doctor on Monday? Are these things all related? What could this be a sign of? I have had ear infections as a child before (swimmer's ear and middle ear), and I've always had severe impacted earwax problems. Does anyone have any insight to this? Again, I'm not asking for a diagnosis or anything. Thanks!

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
If the medical provider was not careful, the extremely-sensitive ear canal could have been scratched, or the eardrum injured.

What was the temperature of the water they used to flush your ears? It needs to be at least body temperature (98.6) or just a bit higher. Colder, even room-tempature water can cause a "calorie response". Cold water in the ear canal will cause the eyes to rapidly twitch side to side (nystagmus), causing profound vertigo...nausea....and even, vomiting.

However, if your legs felt numb or tingling (arms and lips, too), you may have hyperventilated. This can cause dizziness and feeling that you may faint.

Is this normal for an ear cleaning? Absolutely not. If your ears were pain-free when you came in, and you developed pain from the procedure, than you can assume the procedure caused it. A scatched ear canal can cause otitis externa (like swimmer's ear).

someoneone responded:
Thank you very much for responding so quickly.

I had a quick question. Is the "calorie response" the thing that causes the eyes to twitch? (Sorry, I'm not really medically-savy).

It actually hurt quite a bit more than normal when it was being done. Usually when my old doctor used to clean them out by flushing them, it didn't hurt at all other than the vertigo, which went away. This time, though, it felt like the water was pounding up against my eardrum, which was weird because she just used this ear syringe thing and my old doctor used a water pic. I know that sometimes your ears will be sore when they are pulling out the wax with that special tool. However, it seemed to hurt more this time. If I had pain when I was at my old doctor's, he would explain that sometimes the little hairs would be pulled on. Anyway, it was like someone was banging my eardrum when she was flushing it out and when she was pulling it out, it felt like I was being stabbed in the ear. When she washed it out with water, the water did stay a while in my ears, but I thought it all came out. Now I'm not so sure because if I temporarily plug my ears, I get a wave-like sound with some thumping. By the way, I forgot to answer your question, but I think the water was room temperature at least. It definitely wasn't cold, but it wasn't too hot. Sorry I don't know the exact number. The hyperventilation thing makes sense because now that I think about it, I was pretty nervous and not breathing as well as I should have been.

Thank you again for the prompt response.

I hope this makes sense. I don't know what the tools are called, so I'm sorry that I'm being so vague.

I noticed a typo...that is CALORIC response, and yes, it is the colder-than-body temperature water that can cause the eyes to twitch and cause the vertigo. Even the inflammation on your canal and eardrum that you experienced can cause vertigo, but this too, shall pass. Hang in there... Although this was a particularly unpleasant experience for you, things should improve and get back to normal soon. Your pediatrician is used to dealing with children and may have been a bit more gentle.

Oh, and that tool is called a cerumen loop.

Sanju123456 responded:
Doctor cleaned my ear with water(not cold) with ear sirenge but wax didn't removed. He instructed me to put solowax for 5 days and consult him again After 4 hours of washing ear my ear started paining. Is there is any problem

Sometimes, hard earwax must be softened first in order to be washed out of the ear, or the doctor will need to use a currette to manually remove it.

I am not familiar with that product...are you in a country other than the US?

Sanju123456 responded:
yes. I am From India. what might be the reason for ear pain. Doctor used hot water for cleaning with ear sirenge.

I really have no way of determining a specific reasons for your ear pain, Sanju. There can be many reasons, from infections to inflammatory responses, so you will need to see your medical provider again so that you can be properly examined.

Hopefully, that ear wash water wasn't TOO hot! It should be warm...above body temperature, but not hot in the sense of the word.

melwll replied to Rod_Moser_PA_PhD's response:
Hi, I am not sure if I am actually going back to the same subject here, but my ENT cleaned my ears from wax...i had gone to him because there was some pain in my ears and it felt plugged as well...He tested and told me he had to clean my ears. He sprayed something and then vaccumed.after that i felt a bit dizzy, but nothing that was TOO annoying. He told me i felt dizzy becasue it seems i have an infection!he wrote me an antibiotic and and told me it should be going away...
Could this actually go away on its own? (the pain and sometimes dizziness) I mean is it something very dangerous? it feels better somehow after the cleaning.
Thank you very much!

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to melwll's response:
Did your doctor tell you what KIND of infection? A wax impaction can easily cause inflammation in the ear canal, so antibiotic ear drops may be prescribed. Sometimes, after removing the wax so you can see the eardrum a bit better, your doctor may have suspected a MIDDLE ear infection.

Since I don't know the type or severity of your ear infection, I am at a loss to guess if it will self-resolve.

What antibiotic did the doctor prescribe? This may give me a clue

melwll replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Hello Doctor, Thank you so much for your response! I think I did not give enough information...Please allow me to go more into details. First I had pain in my ears, and some times pain that would come for some seconds in the upper part of my nose, and as well in my chest. I told all this to the ENT, and he said first he would clean my ears. When he cleaned my ears, I felt dizzy, and he said maybe I have an infection. He said I have "glue ears" and he gave me an anti biotic (500), Zertyc (he advised it would dry and help my nose and ears, and he gave me a spray for my nose, which he said would help the congestion I have (phlem). I took the medicine and actually felt better, then went to him the week after as he had requested. I told him as well that I was feeling dizzy every now and then, and he tested by spraying a liquid into my ears and watching my eyes. He said I got much better, and he just gave me something for the Vertigo ( I am sorry I forgot what it was). After around 10 days, my ears started itching a lot nad my chest was hurting a little I went back to him, he just looked in my ears and said I have funjigated ears! He prescribed an anti biotic (Ciprodar for 5 days, 2 each day), an anti inflamtory medication, a cream for my ears for the funji, and Zeran which he sai would help in general. I took the medication, but then I flew and when the plane landed it would hurt A LOT! Very recently did the itching start to go away...The only symptom that I still have ( Which I did not mention earlier) is that my ear feels just a little plugged, and sometimes it suddenly starts ringing for some seconds, then goes away. I have to admit I am feeling better, I do not have the money yet to go to an ENT, so I am just so so worried that I might lose my hearing permenantly! Could this really happen? Could it be getting better by it self? Thank you Doctor.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to melwll's response:
I really can't answer those questions....I do not have enough specific information, but I doubt you will lose your hearing.

You do need to see an ENT when you can. Your doctor seems to be trying a variety of treatments, but based on what you have shared, it is not working. You need an expert to render an opinion.....

Helpful Tips

Most People with a penicillin allergy can safely take cephalosporinsExpert
Medical providers have always been taught that if you are allergic to penicillin, you have a greater chance of also being allergic to a ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 61 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.